friendly place to work

Current Employee - Silverware Roller in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Silverware Roller in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

great environment great staff nice place

Cons

difficult to get more hours

Advice to Management

Train current employees rather than hiring new employees

Other Employee Reviews for Hillstone Restaurant Group

Good money, awful experience.

Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Server in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you're willing to take your job very seriously and play by some pretty rigorous rules, there is good money to be made. Even in a "bad" four-table section, you'll make at least 100 every shift, and the more senior waitstaff makes closer to 200.

Cons

That being said, the environment is soul-crushing. You can be written up for not having your shirt starched properly. If a guest complains about any aspect of their experience, it's automatically your fault because management claims that you are "given all the tools necessary to bring their experience from a 1 to a 10". The focus on "team service" is actually not conducive to getting anything done effectively, especially if you have extensive serving experience, because you have to focus so much on what tasks others have handed off to you and what tasks you've handed off to others that it can be difficult to also juggle your tables and your guests' needs.

Advice to Management

Take a step back and let your employees actually do the job you hired them for instead of breathing down their necks constantly. Maybe you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate, even for the foodservice industry.

2. Hard work but rewarding!!

Former Employee - Server in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Server in New York, NY

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team environment, constantly educated on the way we prepare the food and the wines we choose to serve. You were able to get promoted into larger sections with seniority so everyone could work towards that.

Cons

Sometimes did not feel respected by one of the upper management, but other than that, it was a pleasant place to work! The clientele were even wonderful to serve.

Advice to Management

I really do not have much advice to give because the company was very successful while I was there. I would have to encourage them to treat all employees the same but if they had issues to provide them with constructive feedback.