A good restaurant job.

Current Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Bartender in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

Excellent work enviornement, great people and management. I am very happy working for this company and would like to work here for a long time.

Cons

Getting time off is somewhat difficult at this place but management is usually able to work with you. The ranking system is awesome.

Advice to Management

I think that the management at this restaurant is great!

reviews filtered by

Love It!

Current Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

The money you make good money high class restaurant. Good customers, good tipers. Good training at L.A location. Love it

Cons

No time off! You dont have time to yourself. May be if you go to school, but if you have another jog forget it.

Advice to Management

Please give us the time of we request. If we request the time off its for a good reason. Thanks!

Hillstone Restaurant Group- Lots of money but no Life

Former Employee - Manager In Training in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Manager In Training in Miami, FL

I worked at Hillstone Restaurant Group

Pros

The best thing about working for Hillstone is the paycheck. Right out of college I was making double compared to my fellow graduates. After some time the raises and bonuses were added and I was making more money than my parents combined. I was slinging burgers, chicken salads, and spinach dip while making six figures.

Cons

The downside of working at Hillstone as a manager is that you have no life outside of work. During the interview process recruiters emphasize the importance of finding a balance and blah, blah, blah but it is impossible once employed by the company. A standard work week is 55 hrs. at minimum. As you climb the ranks that can increase to 80 to 100 hours. As a trainee my work week was about 65 hours. My first store as a manager saw my hourly commitment increase to 70/75 hours. I finally left the company after I completed a 95 hour work week, caught pneumonia and after requesting a sick day was practically forced to come to work with a fever of 102. I guess it is okay for manager to be throwing up in the bathroom and then handling people's food.

It is very difficult to find that work/life balance as there is so much pressure on managers to be the job. If all you care about is money and have no desire to have a life then this would be the perfect place for you.

Advice to Management

Truly practice what you preach. Allow managers to have a life outside of your restaurants.