So far I'm impressed...

Current Employee - Sales Administrative in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Sales Administrative in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

Some of the reasons I love to work for HIlton Hotels is the DISCOUNT! Let's be honest, it makes traveling much easier. Plus I think our management really has shown they are in their leadership roles for a reason. I feel I can talk to my direct mananger of even the GM at any time without any "you went over my head" issues. I do feel the company rewards fairly based on individual accomplishments and does invest in your professional and personal development. SO far, so good.

Cons

Forced PTO. When I came on board the Sales Office was closed 3x in the next 3 months. I had no time off so I didn't get paid for those vacation times. I hear a lot of "when I was at my old property".. well you're no longer there so shut up about it. Making staff changes and not explaining how it's benefiting the property.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to your staff. Many things happen that you are not even aware of. From where you sit to where we work, the view is very different. Appreciate the people that are missing their kids recitals to make sure our guests are taken care of.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. I wanted to stay with Hilton but the Hours were just too long

Former Employee - Controller in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Controller in Boston, MA

I worked at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

The ability to relocate to exciting locations throughout the US and have the company pay for the relocation.

Cons

Long Hours, Dog and Pony shows for Corporate Visitors. It is fustrating that when a Corporate visit to the Hotel takes place that everything else has to stop to prepare for their visit.

Advice to Management

Relax when you come and visit and smile more. Your staff has a great deal of respect for the position and status you have achieved in the Company and your career but it would really be nice to see that you also live by the rules of hospitality when you visit your hotels.

Hotel/Real Estate Values Fluctuate, Employees are True Assets

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Hilton Worldwide

Pros

People and perks. There are many exceptional team members, a lot of industry longevity and knowledge. The experience you gain is invaluable. The work atmosphere can be extremely fun. Middle management has some true all stars. Oh yes...and we also have a fantastic portfolio of hotels. The corporate initiatives that have to do with charity, the arts, community involvement and the environment are refreshing. There is a definite atmosphere of pride and many people willing to go the extra mile. We also have a wonderful legacy of hospitality and the spirit of Conrad Hilton is definitely still alive.

Cons

Since new ownership, focus is on bottom line rather than hospitality. While there are many things that make Hilton a great company to work for, these are like torches carried on from the old regime. There is a lot of training but it is sort of bizarre and hollow as if they train you with catch phrases and slogans but never actually get to the bulk of the knowledge. Trial by fire and piecemeal come to mind. Employee morale is low with all the changes-Original Sr. Management is all gone, positions being eliminated and many employees will have to move across country or give up their jobs just to relocate to DC area. Is there a connection with new CEO returning to his home town? The excuse that DC (EDT) is more conducive to a global operation is laughable when a lot of expansion is happening in Asia and India.

Advice to Management

We know the economy is bad but your new micromanagement style is suffocating us. We love the fact that we have jobs and we are working hard to keep them. We want our company to weather the current economic storm and I think we are all giving it our all. A unified game plan would be appreciated over the current style of streaming emails with new protocols, followed by emails canceling or changing those protocols and then addenda to the protocols. Furthermore it was no surprise that raises were out for this year and I think most people rolled with the punches on that one; but it is sort of a slap in the face to say due to the economy we can't offer raises and then watch as we move full speed ahead with a new luxury brand. It may be important to continue growth for the sake of the company but to pursue the luxury segment so aggressively when certain segments of the company cannot fill open positions or have had their travel budgets slashed or can't order new supplies really sends a mixed message. It's like the kids wearing hand me downs when Mom and Dad are jet setting around the globe. Not to forget revenue goals for certain sales positions being increased up to 20% in the same economy that does not lend itself to giving raises.