There are newer employer reviews for Hiscox

A place where hard work is expected, but not always recognized.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Armonk, NY
Current Employee - Business Analyst in Armonk, NY

I have been working at Hiscox

Pros

Time off, work/life balance, not a high-stress work environment, business casual, friendly co-workers, friendly management team, growing company, young company

Cons

need to self educate to move up, hard work expected but not often rewarded, salaries below average, flat organization with few opportunities to advance within role

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Great people, great ambition, but not for everyone

I have been working at Hiscox full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I feel like I own my little bit of the business. While of course there are policies and structures within the company, I feel I am given great freedom to go about doing whatever I do in the way I think best. My manager is there to support me, not manage me. The people there are ambitious and spur each other on. Management are good at giving talented people a challenge and a chance.

Cons

If you are not ambitious and not prepared to put in some big hours to impress, you will find others progress their careers more quickly than you. Some people find this demotivating. More broadly the industry is becoming more and more regulated (which means bureaucratic), so while Hiscox is pushing to retain individuality, it is not immune.

Advice to Management

Keep taking a risk on talented people.

2. Great offices, great culture.......but only if you are in the "in crowd"

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in York, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Advisor in York, England (UK)

I worked at Hiscox full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great offices and facilities, excellent benefits including wine hamper, good pension, free gym membership. On face value a great culture. Very social environment - pay day drinks every month, monthly social events.

Cons

Office culture of if your face fits you are fine, if not there is a very vocal gentleman in HR who holds a lot of power in who is promoted and who is not - very close to the MD - they are a voice to be reckoned with. If you are not a drinker and don't attend the social events it is career suicide.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees equally - look at a better flexible working policy ie allow employees to work from home and offer flexible working. But most importantly do not let one person have so much say on who stays and who goes.