There are newer employer reviews for Hitachi Consulting

Growing firm finding its way

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Good people who work hard and typically exceed client expectations. Employee experience depends on local leadership. In general, supportive of personal time for special circumstances.

Cons

Inconsistent culture. Hard to get collaboration on national projects. National pursuit of business Typically leads to a lot of travel.

Advice to Management

Make strategic investments in people and follow through.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Overall Rating C-

Former Employee - Manager II in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Manager II in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

Mostly local clients, though driving around SoCal you may be in traffic 3+ hours a day anyway. Collegial culture, not as much back stabbing as big 4 firms.

Cons

Company hangs onto mediocre employees and promotes them along with the rest of the group reducing motivation to work hard, promotions are based much more on time at level, or being the squeaky wheel, or hinting that you will leave, than performance. Even with great reviews management knocks most everyone down to an average rating during yearly promotion cycle as a means to not promote or give decent raises. My salary increased only $14k in 5 years including making the jump to manager which netted me a whopping $4k raise. Company has set salary ranges they keep everyone in regardless of high performance. If you come in on the high side, expect paltry raises forever. Management lacks vision for developing new/existing service lines, has nobody competent developing these areas, they just play whack-a-mole with whatever project comes their way. Management pigeon-holes people into roles and does not challenge them with work to get them to the next level. You have to luck into a project that allows for career growth. Company laid off 25% of workforce recently instead of using downtime to invest in building new capabilities. Company routinely denies per diems when working out of town with the excuse that the client didn't agree to it, even though it is part of the employee's compensation agreement. No overtime pay, salaries only average.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people more with training and allowing them to build new service lines internally. This is what the big firms do and it works for them. Instead of laying off everyone who happened to not be on a project, try spending some money improving internally with much needed development of best practices and service lines, and get people trained on new technology.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting

Pros

I like working at Hitachi Consulting because we have a great leadership team and I love the people I work with. Everyone I know in my company is super smart and enjoyable to work with... Also there are a lot of career advancement opportunities and training.

Cons

I feel like my salary is less than of my peers in other Consulting Companies.

Advice to Management

Slary bands should be transperant and disclosed at the company's intranet.