Director - Strategy

Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA
Former Employee - Director - Strategy in Irvine, CA

I worked at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good brand association due to the Parent company.

Cons

Lack of a growth strategy, declining market share, acquisitions are a disaster since the acquired teams are completely neglected.

Advice to Management

Its about time to realize and embrace globalization to stay competitive & expand operations.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Fantastic place to start a career, but not the right place for me to grow

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people when I started were excellent - I admired the leaders and my peers from my local office. I worked here directly out of undergrad and was given great opportunities to work in different industries and in different functional areas. Better work life balance than most consultancies

Cons

Experiences and expectations differ widely by which office you are in and what your background is. Pay increase is slow until you are eligible for performance compensation. Leadership at the company level (not the office-level) is disconnected.

Advice to Management

Hiring definitely needs improvement - the consultants hired out of undergrad are the most talented people at the company, and I often felt like I was picking up slack for poor MBA and experienced hires (who were brought in at a higher salary level than I ever attained).

Adventures of a Road Warrior

I have been working at Hitachi Consulting full-time

Pros

Every project is different, which means some projects are great and filled with awesome people. Hitachi is one of the few companies around that pays out per diem rather than actuals, which really makes being a road warrior worth it. There are plenty of travel opportunities, and you are able to take advantage of the points (airline, hotel, etc.) easily. In general, you can work from home on Friday, and managers tend to be understanding of time off for doctors appointments that you cannot take care of during the week.

Cons

First of all, every region is different. I have heard many different stories and experiences from all over the country, and it seems to depend on where you are at. This is my experience from my location.

-There is a huge push to try and force an office community. This means many clubs, after work events, corporate get-togethers. This is nice, and is a good way to get to know people, but it should be my choice to go, and my annual review should not reflect how active I am in these activities. Our annual review process seems more hinged on how many groups you are involved in, rather than the quality and effort of your work.

-When hired straight out of school (or with limited experience), you are placed in a core group. This is billed as a great opportunity to build your skills and try new areas. However, in practice, you will be placed wherever they can put you so that the company can make money. This means that once you have any sort of experience in one area, you will stay in that area til the end of time. In theory, you can work your way into the career direction that you would like, but in hard economic times like these, it's highly unlikely.

-The annual review process is very drawn out, and very secretive. Like most consulting firms, you are represented by an adviser who presents you in a meeting and fights to get you a fair ranking (from 1-5). You are compared amongst your peers in your level (which means you are compared against some people who are creating applications from scratch as well as people who create training documentation. While both are valid and necessary portions of the job, there are extreme differences in the level of effort and skill sets that are needed to complete each project). You do not get to represent yourself. Your performance evaluation hinges on someone who may have never worked with you, and may have only spoken with you for a few hours out of the year. Results are released about two months after ratings have been determined by the group. This delay is caused by the "Secret" review that is undergone by the executive levels. They will fight to keep all reviews within a bell curve, and will change ratings as necessary to keep that perfect curve. This results in some people unfairly being rated negatively to keep that curve. And again, in this review, your participation in the extra community building teams is HIGHLY taken into consideration.

-Some other reviews have nailed the big problem with our clients. We accept projects that no other firm would accept. These are projects with unrealistic expectations (work that they want completed within 6 weeks, that realistically is going to take 6 months). When all the other firms walk away, we step right in and, in most cases, fail because we are not set up to succeed.

Advice to Management

People are leaving in droves. I have heard the excuse that "they are just not meant for consulting". If this is the case, why do people go to other consulting firms? Listen to your employees, and maybe these talented performers will start staying.