Hobby Lobby

"memorable experience"

Former Employee - Cashier/CSM/Department Head
Former Employee - Cashier/CSM/Department Head

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good hours, only few sundays, friendly atmosphere (for most part), team effort from most, most managers cared about you as person not just as employee, good benefits, family centered, good discount, educational, Christian atmosphere mostly. good christmas bonus, good 5 year appreciation gift

Cons

outdated registers/technology, christmas music starting the day after thanksgiving...every year!! 30 minute lunch breaks, 2-faced managers (only 1 of the 3 store managers that i had, during my 5 year period) having to hang christmas ornaments 1 by 1 on the pegs...all 1,000,000,000 of them. RESETS that occured continuously! Getting more glitter on you than on the picks/sprays during christmas time. ; )

Be more cautious of management. They can either break your store, or make your store! I left because of my manager... Have thought about going back someday, but not if she is still working. She even ignores me to this day when I go into the store to shop... its been 18 months & i left on good terms!!

467 Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby (View Most Recent)

Do not believe the hype

Current Employee - Framer
    Current Employee - Framer

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Decent pay and great co-workers. Flexible scheduling for students. A good "starter" job for those between high school and college, or retirees looking to fill a few hours.

Cons

This is not a company to build a career with.

There is no upward mobility. The management is terrible. Neoptism is rampant in this company. There is no future for young, educated professionals working with Hobby Lobby. Unless you are willing to brown nose and backstab your way up, count on never getting promoted.

The company's motto seems to be "Do more with less". There are never enough employees to finish the work that must be done. Management treats everyone as though they were naughty kindergarteners, with vague disapproval and disappointment. There is no opportunity for discussion or compromise. No fear of firing, though. The company will do whatever it can to prevent having to pay out unemployment. "Dissenters" and "troublemakers" are simply demoted, their hours made as uncomfortable as possible, and given impossible tasks to complete until they get fed up and leave.

There is never enough time to finish the work allotted. Company execs seem much more concerned with the image and appearance of the store (and whether customers might, god forbid, witness employees actually working on things) than in efficiency and productivity. Getting the proper tools and equipment to do the work properly is next to impossible. Mentioning that you cannot get the proper tools or enough time or enough people to do the job is labeled "complaining".

Employees are treated as interchangeable cogs in the machine with no regard to their personal backgrounds, skills, or education. Employees are not allowed to make eye contact, speak with, or acknowledge company executives when they visit, or to page each other by name over the intercom when execs are in the store. Rules change constantly, often from day to day, over the most incredibly minuscule nit-picky details, though this is rarely communicated clearly by management. Upper management strives to create a culture of fear, where employees are frequently told they must work extra hard because an exec will be visiting. Nine times out of ten, the visit never occurs.

"Motivation" consists of telling employees they are not working hard enough or fast enough, that they make too many mistakes or are not "team players". There is no incentive to try harder or do better. The best you can produce is never good enough. There is a constant feeling that management is waiting to catch you doing something wrong so they can justify the way they treat the people under them. "Training" consists of watching company-produced videos on how to catch people stealing at the till, whether you work the registers or not. There is no safety equipment to unload the trucks. Employees are not provided with proper footwear or gloves.

The overall environment is designed to crush out any vestige of creativity or individuality for the sake of conformity. Do not be fooled by the "Christian company" line. It's a flat out lie. No true Christian would treat the people beneath them the way Hobby Lobby treats its employees.

With the exception of a job where I very nearly filed a sexual harassment suit against my employer upon leaving, this is hands down one of the worst set of managers I have ever had to work with.

Your employees are unhappy with the way you are treating them, and we are telling the customers who shop in your stores about it. We are people, not sub-human thralls. A little respect, and actually listening and acting on the concerns of the people on the bottom rung would go a long way.

Not what I thought

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The hours. Closed Sundays. The pay.

Cons

Having to listen to the same music, day after day, month after month. Being open til 5:30 on Christmas Eve and New Years eve and being open on New Years Day. Lack of communication from Managment. Certain managers have their favorites and doesnt care who knows it. The company is known as a Christian company but that is about as Christian as it gets. DM has very little encouragment for employees. Rules change often and then change back. Nothing ever seems good enough.

Appreciate your staff, they are part of the reason why your store is busy. Take care off the problems that are brought to you and stop sweeping them under the rug in hopes that they will go away.

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby