Hobby Lobby

"memorable experience"

Former Employee - Cashier/CSM/Department Head
Former Employee - Cashier/CSM/Department Head

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

good hours, only few sundays, friendly atmosphere (for most part), team effort from most, most managers cared about you as person not just as employee, good benefits, family centered, good discount, educational, Christian atmosphere mostly. good christmas bonus, good 5 year appreciation gift

Cons

outdated registers/technology, christmas music starting the day after thanksgiving...every year!! 30 minute lunch breaks, 2-faced managers (only 1 of the 3 store managers that i had, during my 5 year period) having to hang christmas ornaments 1 by 1 on the pegs...all 1,000,000,000 of them. RESETS that occured continuously! Getting more glitter on you than on the picks/sprays during christmas time. ; )

Be more cautious of management. They can either break your store, or make your store! I left because of my manager... Have thought about going back someday, but not if she is still working. She even ignores me to this day when I go into the store to shop... its been 18 months & i left on good terms!!

495 Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby (View Most Recent)

Not what I thought

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The hours. Closed Sundays. The pay.

Cons

Having to listen to the same music, day after day, month after month. Being open til 5:30 on Christmas Eve and New Years eve and being open on New Years Day. Lack of communication from Managment. Certain managers have their favorites and doesnt care who knows it. The company is known as a Christian company but that is about as Christian as it gets. DM has very little encouragment for employees. Rules change often and then change back. Nothing ever seems good enough.

Appreciate your staff, they are part of the reason why your store is busy. Take care off the problems that are brought to you and stop sweeping them under the rug in hopes that they will go away.

run away, don't walk run

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The pay was not too bad for a retail job, but there are so many other jobs I would rather do for much less than work here.

Cons

What you do today will not be good for any other day. It changes every day. You never know if what you are doing will stay the same or change. The rules are never the same depending on the day or time of day. They give you 4 days of work to do in 1 day then threaten your job if you don't stay late or work your day off to get it done. Extremely antiquated way of running a store. The office and warehouse is running on scanners and computers, but the stores are running on dos and pen and paper. Break out your 1980 Comadore 64 to keep up . Not the place to build your resume. District Manager treated everyone with total disrespect, never giving any positive feedback , just negative comments and snide remarks. Be prepared to enslave yourself to this Christian company for very little in return.

Make sure to change the rules a few more times during the week to totally screw with your staff. Don't ever tell them the truth because they wouldn't know it if it hit them in the face. Use God as a ruse to hide your true plans to ruin employees home life. Don't ever offer a compliment to an employee because they would fall over of a heart attach.

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby