Hobby Lobby

www.hobbylobby.com

It's a job.

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Lubbock, TX
Current Employee - Cashier in Lubbock, TX

Pros

-Decent pay for part time
-Made some new friends
-15% Discount
-Sundays off

Cons

-Part timers getting just as much hours as a full timer. I get about 35-38 hours a week after lunch is taken out.
-Sale signs confuse a lot of customers. Especially the fine print, causing them to get upset at you because they didn't read everything on the sign.
-Lack of scanners. Apparently we can afford iPads in each department to make ordering easier, but we can't afford scanners?
-Truck day. They shouldn't have to ask other employees to help with the truck. Especially if you closed the night before, then waking up at 5 isn't very fun.
-Lack of free time to yourself. Every once in awhile on the days I get out at 4 I'll have time to go see a movie or something, but after every day I normally just have time to come home, make dinner, clean, and sleep. Then on my day off I run around and do errands. There doesn't seem to be time to relax.
-A bit understaffed. I've been called over to fabrics for the past couple weeks to help out so that the dept head can order. I actually do like fabrics more than cashiering, but my manager doesn't seem to want to let me over there permanently.

Get your priorities straight. I understand that you want sales to go more smoothly, but I bet that scanners would be just as effective as iPads.
Make the sales signs more clear for customers. With most of our shops customers who are elderly, they don't seem to be able to read the fine print.
Make a better system for coupons. People keep trying to hop to different registers unnoticed. Unfortunately some of them get away with it because I don't have eyes on the back of my head while I check someone else out. Perhaps making different IP adresses for people's mobile devices so codes are different?

Other reviews for Hobby Lobby

No life if you work here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Wichita, KS
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wichita, KS

Pros

Great pay, discounts, its a job!

Cons

Long hours, Horrible management, No life because of scheduling.

Treat employees as if they are human. 13 hour shifts are not good.

Abusive place to work

Current Employee - Floral Department Manager  in  Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Floral Department Manager in Jacksonville, FL

Pros

Employee discount
    Pay is good for a retail job
    Full timers get good hours
    I like all my fellow employees

Cons

I have never been so mistreated at a job in my life. I'm giving my notice this week since I finally have had enough and can't take it anymore. My boss must be bipolar because one minute she is yelling at you and the next asking how you are doing. Every day there is some sort of issue that is made into a bigger deal than it is. For instance, a few days ago I came into work and the moment I walked into the door I was getting reprimanded. I was told I lost a point on our audit because I had left water bottles in my drawer in my department. My boss said we aren't allowed water on the floor and I told her if I can't drink water than I can't be here and she tells me she is making an exception. Since when is it OK for a business to tell it's employees they cannot drink water? It's not in the employee manual because I read the entire thing. I shrugged it off since it's not like a bottle of water is going to make the company lose money....pick your battles and this one is stupid. My boss gets in my face and tells me "This is VERY serious." Really now? A bottle of water in a drawer is serious??? This is the kind of petty things I have to deal with every single day of my life. Truck day is the worst. You come in sometimes at 7am and are not allowed to go home until everything is put up which is often around 10:30pm. You only get 2 half hour lunches within that time. This company is having its employees work more than 12 hours a day and they get a total of 1 measly hour to eat?? And forget breaks..you won't get them even though you are allowed. Every time I have tried to take a break, I have gotten in trouble. Going 6 hours without food is inexcusable and I won't tolerate it anymore. You get written up for everything and it's idiotic. If you are on the register and you forget to put your initial on a check, write up. We were given these flyers with the app info on it to give to the customers. I was told I have to manually hand them to each person. Do they realize that most people don't want stuff handed to them. They say, put it in my bag, or I don't want that or look at me strangely. I just put the paper in their bag. Well, I got told that it's on video and if we get audited and they see that, it's a point off our audit. Why don't they concentrate on what's important and not these mediocre issues they keep coming up with? Focus on what would really be an issue, and not these childish reasons to write everyone up and then fire them over it. Yeah, I'm going to call unemployment and when they ask me why I got fired, I'm going to say, because I didn't cut the coupons correctly and put my initials on them. Christian???? What a joke! The company uses that as a guise to lure people in that think they are going into a faith based environment. I've never felt so worthless and depressed in my life. I go into work and within an hour I'm in tears and wanting to run out the door. I'm thankful that soon enough I don't have to endure the abuse any longer. I'm out of there and I'm not looking back. I have sooooo much more I want to say, but I will end up writing a book because there is that much wrong with this company.

Practice what you "preach". We are told to watch monthly videos and one of them was about customer service. My boss encourages me to avoid customers and shows me which aisles to walk down so as to not see any and have to help them. Love that 10 foot rule that we are supposed to abide by. I get into trouble if I help someone for more than a minute. I will be spied on with the camera from the back room and will get called into the office if I help someone for too long. Five minutes is extreme..unbelievable. I used to love to work here, but now I'm a slave and nothing I do is ever good enough. Put yourself in the shoes of others and stop behaving like you are better than everyone else, because you are not.

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby.

Worked for Hobby Lobby? Contribute to the Community!