Hobby Lobby

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Cashier

Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier
Former Employee - Seasonal Cashier

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I loved the Christian music that was played in the store. Also beautiful items all around to remind all about our God. Many very kind and very hard working coworkers. Management tried to schedule employees requesting time off. Sundays off was a fantastic relief to know I could go to my church and worship The Lord.

Cons

No breaks to get even a sip of water or bathroom privileges if any kind of line. Many times I worked 6 hours or more at the register and was denied these simple requests. Register very confusing with out dated equipment so no scanner to ensure correct pricing in all of the products sold. Many times I would have to enter 4 different keys to enter department, category,percentage off, and the seasonal category for each and every item. I believe this is why lines form in the first place. Employees fearful of complaining in any way for job security. Schedule changed weekly. Many times I did not know until a few days before I had to work.

Put new hires in the different departments at least for a week to understand the departments and where items are located to insure proper register pricing. Have some kind of system that employees could vocalize best practices to make the store run more efficiently and retain more productive and happy workers Even management was fearful of angering district manager if store was not "perfect". Too much fear from all levels of job stability.

453 Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby (View Most Recent)

Good Company

Former Employee - Cashier in Lafayette, IN
    Former Employee - Cashier in Lafayette, IN

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Hobby Lobby is a very good company that starts off both part time workers and full time workers excellent wages high above minimum wage. They have Sundays off and good store hours, 9am to 8pm. The merchandise they carry is also fun and you can learn a lot of different hobbies and crafts there. The team of workers is small, and you can become good friends with a lot of people. The backroom in the store I worked at was very organized and clean. A lot of their cleaning methods and organization methods are good.

Cons

A lot of work by hand. This includes inventory, ordering items and of course entering the items on the cash registers. This is very painstaking work and very easy to mess up. The small team is also a problem. There are sometimes not enough people working during the day and at night. This makes for a lot more work for those who are on the clock. Scheduling was also a problem, as they required me there every second I was available.

Unpredictable stress, did not stick with company morals

Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Laguna Niguel, CA
    Former Employee - SALES CLERK in Laguna Niguel, CA

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Sundays off. that's really about it.

Cons

No communication from management in regards to what your position entails. No hierarchy, many managers tell you different things on how to complete one task. When I was there many people were laid off at random with no warning. Made for a very stressful work environment. Also they cut hours drastically and did not address the issue to the team.

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby