Hobby Lobby

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Working at Hobby Lobby as a Cashier

Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Plano, TX
Former Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Plano, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Management is helpful and care about personal time. They try to respect each employee and make clear their expectations.

Cons

Nothing is electronically cataloged. Everything has to be counted and sorted by hand. It also gets extremely busy and being a department head/cashier makes your job harder

499 Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby (View Most Recent)

"Christian" company? What church do they go to?

Former Employee - Customer Service Manager
    Former Employee - Customer Service Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, Sundays off, store closes at 8 so you get out earlier than other stores.

Cons

The management is taught that their employees are "cogs in the machine", nothing more. They care absolutely nothing about you as a human being. You are worked like a dog (my last day I was on my hands and knees scrubbing baseboards!), you are given 6 tasks to do at once, they all have to be done yesterday, and you can forget about getting a simple word of encouragement. Thank God I'm out of there.

Your employees are people. We have lives outside of Hobby Lobby. You can't run 500+ stores without us. At least pretend like we're valuable to you.

long and egrading

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

they pay well... I have been there a long time and our team has become like a family

Cons

Poor management! It has become more and more apparent they do not truly care on the human level. We had a fantastic store manager when the store opened, he was there for many years but as the corporate level of management became less humane he chose retirement. We have had several managers since, each worse than the last. We are no longer allowed opinions on any level and if you speak up you are punished by scheduling, we earn personal paid time that we have been told we can't use without a doctors note, sometimes not even then. It has become a dictatorship. When we made attempts to go to corporate about the issues we were ignored or embarrassed by being called out in front of others. They have the fact they are christian posted every where and that we are closed to allow time for worship and family on sundays yet we have received trucks on sunday and had to work and now are required to study the sale ad to pass a test monday morning before open. They also brag about their high wages( on the national news and posted on the front door) but they don't tell you that it is a set rate for all employees, the guy who goofs off all day gets paid the same as the guy busting their butt to get things done, not great incentive. I cannot afford to quit due to the High rate of pay but I am more miserable everyday.

All levels of management should be required human relations classes and pass personality tests before receiving their gold name tag. Remeber that without people you cannot run a business, that includes your employees

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby