There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Not a bad job for college

Former Employee - Stockman, Framing Associate in Saint Louis, MO
Former Employee - Stockman, Framing Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Management will depend on your store, I had fair managers with a good sense of humor. -Very flexible, willing to work around classes or time off without penalty. -Will cross-train employees in the areas they think they could manage -Great co-workers, very willing to help if you don't know something.

Cons

-Training mainly consists of on-the-job training and some videos, you aren't taught much about anything outside your department unless you go figure it out. -You get a wide variety of customers, be prepared for attitudes to run the gamut as well. -Frame shop workers' sales were kept track of when I left, if you don't up-sell custom frames, you won't stay there long. -Cashiers have to work with a manual system, knowing what sales are on that week and applying the discounts as necessary, this can be a problem for back-up cashiers. -It's retail, you will have customers yelling at you or giving you an attitude because they've been piled-up in line for too long.

Advice to Management

Some time for actual training in all departments would help employees rapidly assist customers. Upgrade from the manual cashiering system, it's window dressing that is unnecessary.

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

Hard to believe Hobby Lobby is a Christian company

Current Employee - Co-Manager
    Current Employee - Co-Manager

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Disappointed to say that the only "pro" that comes to mind is that HL is closed on Sundays.

Cons

Upper management consistently demonstrates attitudes and behavior that is not only unprofessional, but anything but Christ-like. Belittling and berating employees while customers shop is not only unprofessional, but totally against all of the teachings of Jesus Christ. While HL professes to be a Christian company, I have yet to see anyone display qualities that Christians should exemplify. I've seen a near temper tantrum from a district supervisor while in the store with customers shopping. Hard work is not enough for HL. They want 70 hour weeks and do not care if you have a family. If you want to have a life outside of work, HL is not for you. No appreciation for long hours and total dedication to your job.

Advice to Management

Mr. Green needs to be aware of the un-Christ like, hateful people that he has hired to manage his company. Worked in management for 20+ years and never dealt with such nonsense until working for Hobby Lobby.

2. Buyer

Current Employee - Buyer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Buyer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Christian environment, Great people to work around, Pay is excellent as well as the benefits. If you want to work for a company who's owner and mgt truly cares about the emopoyees or, you just want to work in a Christian environment then, I don't know of a better company. Hobby Lobby has raised the min wage to $13 hour for any full time employee and, has given me a great raise every year.

Cons

store Mgr's have to work a lot of hours

Advice to Management

you are the best, keep following God's plan for this company.