There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

My overall experience with Hobby Lobby was very good.

Former Employee - Certified Framer in Joplin, MO
Former Employee - Certified Framer in Joplin, MO

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The things that I learned at this job has taught me so much in my current career. The Hobby Lobby store in Joplin, MO is just like a family. I go there to this day to visit the employees. I even go to some of the retired ones homes to visit them. Great people to work with.

Cons

Unfortunately it would be middle managment not backing up their employees when they try to enforce store policies. Time and time again I would explain certain framing fees to customers only to have the fees taken away by managers because the customer complained.

Middle managment needs to stop bowing to the customer.

428 Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby (View Most Recent)

Terrible Management! Low wages! Under staffed and overworked!

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Aurora, IL

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Sundays off. Sundays off. Sundays off.

Cons

Just about everything else negative you could think of. Poor management, favoritism, low wages, terrible pay increases, under staffed, etc. etc. etc.

You claim to be a Christian store. That couldn't be further from the truth. Management works on favoritism and not merit. District and upper management is terrible and treat people badly and with no respect.

Exempt Salaried Managers are taken advantage of because they are exempt from FLSA and Overtime Laws

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Hobby Lobby is closed on Sundays.

Cons

Being an Exempt Salaried Manager for Hobby Lobby. They do not tell you when they make you a job offer that you will be required to help at new store openings and help other stores prepare for a CEO visit from David Green.
    1. New Store Opening: Leave my family for 21 days and go to another part of the country. Worked from 7am to 11pm every day for 21 days straight. No time off to do laundry, buy groceries (you are forced to eat out every day), work out to be healthy or anything for that matter.
    2. CEO Visit: Leave my family for 10 more days and go to another part of the country. Worked again from 7am to 11pm every day for 10 days straight. Again....no time off to do anything. From what other employees have told me, the CEO is only in the store for about 20 minutes.

**I have worked in retail for 20+ years and have never worked so hard in my life in a management role. I don't mind working hard and rolling up my sleeves to dig in but this was absolutely redicilous and ludicrous.

Hobby Lobby does not give you a bonus or any monetary reward for doing this. They give you $25 per day for food and believe me, you use it everyday to eat and drink.
    You work on average of 105 hours per week so I think about what this does to my salary on an hourly bases (If I wanted to earn $10 an hour I would work somewhere with no responsibility or stress).

You should change your strategy on how you open new stores and how you prepare for a CEO visit. You should also reward your Exempt Salaried Managers who do put a lot of passion and hard work into expanding your business.

There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby