There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Best job Ive ever had, Amazing pay that raises each year, Wonderful Co workers, Best starting pay in town.

Current Employee - All Around Store Employee in Prescott Valley, AZ
Current Employee - All Around Store Employee in Prescott Valley, AZ

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They raise their minimum wage every year, $1 for Full Time People and 50 cents for part time. Right now the current rate is $14 hr starting for full time and $9.50 starting for part time.

They truly know how to take care of their employees and they always work around your schedule. At my store they even help you find second jobs if you need them and they raise your hours.

Cons

There are absolutely no downsides to Hobby Lobby, unless you aren't religious....but if you aren't then Hobby Lobby probably isn't somewhere you are going to apply at anyway.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to be better about getting back ahold of their employees when they make complaints. Especially when they make complaints about their managers...Other than that they are great too.

reviews filtered by

Please save me

Current Employee - Crafts
    Current Employee - Crafts

I have been working at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work around school pretty well. Pay rate of $9.50 for part time and $14 for full time. Sundays off. 15% Discount.

Cons

Everything pretty much!

-Favoritism
    -Not promoting within so you will never get full-time unless someone dies
    -Too much work and not enough time
    -Cliques get encouraged
    -Pay increased but no help in store
    -Hostile work environment
    -Cashiers not being trained properly and failing the cashier audit, instead of fixing issues letting them work the floor
    -Getting verbal complaints from customers nonstop on register
    -Morale has been an all time low after pay increase
    -Unstable hours
    -Refuse to pay overtime if you are a FTE
    -Forced to use PPTO when they tell you not to unless an emergency
    -Force people to work off the clock depending on your hours and are threatened to get written up if the project isn't done
    -9 to 10 hour shifts with just a paid 15 minute break if lucky and an unpaid 30 minute lunch

Those are the top issues at the moment.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter how much you increase pay, customer service complaints will increase since you are not letting stores be staffed properly. Maybe you should go into some of stores and work undercover to see what we deal with, so things can get fixed. I am sure my store isn't the only store were morale has taken a huge hit lately. Let the battle with the Supreme Court die already or you will eventually destroy your business in the next few years.

Corporate wanting employees to perform miracles with no workforce.

Current Employee - Department Head in Joplin, MO
    Current Employee - Department Head in Joplin, MO

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Sundays off, the pay (that is also a con also), my GM and DM.

Cons

I first want to say that I am a FTE and any opinion or viewpoint that I have is based solely on my hourly status.
    On truck days we have to stay until the truck is put out. This is absolutely rediculous! The company views this as motivation for us to get the merchandise put up in a timely manner, however, it contributes to laziness. Some of us bust our butts to get our department put up only to find out that we have 3 or 4 more departments that needs "help". The majority of these other departments are just hum hawing around until they get the extra help so they don't have to do the majority of their own department. Here is the motivation that you should provide.... whenever you get your department put up you can go home. I guarantee you would have to spend out less hours on truck days if this was a company policy. Plus, it wouldn't be a punishment to your good, hard-working employees just to your employees who continuiously drop the ball. How fair is it for an employee on these truck days to only get one 30 minute lunch and one 15 minute break in a 10-14 hour shift?? Can corporate say I-L-L-E-G-A-L???
    On top of truck days we will have other days in the week (not every week, mostly during Christmas) where we are told by management that we HAVE to stay til this is done. I am thankful for my job and I stay without complaint but how about corporate being thankful for their dedicated hourly employees. When we do these longer shifts we are usually cut hours later in the week. For people who have babysitters this makes it hard not to mention the lack of respect for our private lives outside of Hobby Lobby.
    The pay like I said in the pros is amazing at $14/hr for hourly, however, that doesn't mean you get 40 or even 35 hours a week. My hours have been cut down to 33 hours yet you are hiring more part time employees. I would welcome a pay cut if you would be able to up my hours so I can get my work done! I have even said that I would go salary just so I can get the work done that my GM and DM want done! I also don't think it is fair for every employee to be paid the same. There are some FTEs that deserve $20+/hr and others who don't even deserve minimum wage. In order to fire these people who keep on dragging us down I heard it was quite a process it shouldn't be especially if you are paying them a good wage!
    DMs need to be aware of how many hours the department heads are working when putting expectations on them. I have had a list of things to complete in a month and with checking, truck day, relays for other departments, the seasonal mess, and other things that might come up from our GM every week when are we suppose to have time to complete anything let alone breathe? Department heads should not have to cashier if you expect anything to get done in a timely manner. I have left the cash register to go back to my department while answering questions from customers only to get back to my department just to be called back to cashier again. To some people this isn't frustrating but to others the ones that actually care about the work that they are putting their name on it is extremely frustrating. I have even worked off the clock, skipped breaks, and worked during my lunches to ensure my work was being completed correctly only for the DM/CO/RVP/or GM to say here is something else.
    You put GMs in the store for a reason! Let them run their store as they see fit instead of expecting them to be a puppet and an overly paid babysitter!

Advice to Management

David Green really needs to go undercover and see what his employees really think. If he did he would find that he does have good employees that are sick of being walked all over and is risking losing them. It is true that everyone especially in this economy is replaceable but good hard working employees are hard to find!! I really wish that there was a way we could email this directly to the company and be able to speak to someone without risking our jobs. You have a phone number for employees to report theft why not to report what we think is wrong with Hobby Lobby? Afterall we, your hourly employees both part time and full time are the ones that keep your customers happy and coming back not someone who sits in an office in corporate and has no idea how to run a cash register, operate the baler, operate the trash compactor, clean the restrooms, unload a truck, cut fabric, sell frames, put a frame order together, write and sell a custom floral arrangement, put together a custom arrangement, or any of the million things that we have to do day to day. Corporate employees who are making the rules that affect us should actually have to work in a store each month.
    Also just a note to our founder, it would be nice to see David Green, for him to come up and shake my hand and say, "You do so much for me with keeping my business running. What can I do for you?" Some of us don't want another raise we just want acknowledgement for a job well done and not to be treated like high paid slaves!