There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Great learning experience, reasonable pay and benefits for full time.

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Closed on Sundays.Store hours 9am to 8pm allow for family time.

Cons

The message that upper management / corporate office portrays is not necessarily consistent with the message that store managers are conveying. Hobby Lobby prides themselves on treating employees right and family first Christian values. At the store level it translates more as 'make a buck'. Talk to the customers if you have time, but get all your other work done. Time off for family? Well, maybe.. IF there's someone that can cover your shift. Otherwise, sorry - you'll have to miss that once in a lifetime thing with your kid.

Advice to Management

Instead of broadcasting corporate visits (the Greens are coming!) just show up sometime. See the store as a customer sees it - with out the stressful weeks to make the store look perfect for a 20 minute visit.

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

Hopeful

Current Employee - Craft Designer in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Craft Designer in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time

Pros

Creatively fulfilling most weeks. Growing department, new positions being created, great opportunities. Social environment, team is great at working together/giving helpful feedback Overtime

Cons

Some crafters are skillful, but don't master the "Hobby Lobby" style within 1-3 months. There is a high turnover among this group. Communication seems poor or secretive concerning minor things. Overtime

Advice to Management

Communication won't hurt anyone. The atmosphere sometimes seems secretive for no good reason.

What a Long Strange Trip it's Been

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

$14 an hour for full time Health Benefits Paid Vacation/Holidays/PPTO Sundays off Great hours (for retail) It's easy When something is broke, Hobby Lobby fixes it. Anytime I have had contact with the corporate office, they have gone above and beyond to be gracious and helpful. At different times, I could have written any one of the "bad" reviews. I needed a job, I learned to make it work. Hobby Lobby hasn't continued to grow (in a bad economy) because the company is mismanaged or horrible to employees. I drank the Kool-Aid. I do my job, I get paid, everyone leaves me alone.

Cons

The entire Hobby Lobby experience is determined by management. Bad manager=horrible experience. I barely survived the first 3 years, but I needed a job. Do I love my job? No, but I'm just not cut out for retail.