Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Hobby Lobby full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Company does not have true planograms so if your a merchant you will love it. Variety of customers and associates since many associates love working there for their love of hobbies. Not a lot of guidelines for number of hours to be used in each dept so you have more control over schedule.

Cons

Retail basics - never enough help to keep up. Lots of physical work even for store manager. Trucks are all hand unload by store manager and co manager. Long days on manager close usually 7 am to 9 pm.

Advice to Management

Upper management have never managed a store under current hourly constrants 10 yrs ago they had twice the help but company is more in line with most retail now. Bring some current successfull ideas to management teams that need your help.

Other Employee Reviews for Hobby Lobby

I'm a Refund Jockey

I have been working at Hobby Lobby full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

We sell awesome stuff and have many great employees to work with.

Cons

I work about 6 minutes and then get called to approve countless refunds all day long. Would be an outstanding job if I was allowed to get some work done.

Advice to Management

Poll the refund count at stores and allow stores to have more refund approvers if warranted.

2. Not a typical retail setting.

Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Logan, UT
    Former Employee - Certified Custom Framer in Logan, UT

I worked at Hobby Lobby part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Closed Sundays and most holidays. Also doesn't open until 10 and closes at 9. Large company with plenty of room for advancement. A wholesome company that you won't feel negative about working for.

Cons

You realize quickly that the quality of merchandise is not very good. Not very challenging you can get bored fast and often. The pay is not great, but is to be expected from a typical retail environment like this. The company seems old fashioned when it comes to technology. I'm not sure if this was to save money or why, but it would often make for clumsy errors in cashiering as well as longer lines for customers.

Advice to Management

The sales are confusing to employees and customers. Sometimes it caused disputes in lines. Why do items still need to be entered in by hand on registers shouldn't we be able to just scan barcodes and have the price automated for us?