There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is a fun place to work part-time.

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Higher than average hourly pay. Fun atmosphere if you are at all interested in the things they sell. Low turnover of staff. 15% employee discount and first chance at sale and clearance items. Never have to work on a Sunday, great store hours on other days. Manager was very understanding about my need to balance personal and work schedules. Attracts a generally pleasant type of customer.

Cons

Manager and Co-manager work exceedingly long hours, open to close is a regular shift for them. Some policies are unfair to customers, sets people up to argue with staff. Seriously outdated technology for cash registers. Leaves lots of room for errors, some of which could get you in trouble. Sale flyers are confusing and hard to follow week to week. Not a job for someone who can't be on their feet for hours or lift at least 30lbs very regularly.

Advice to Management

There are three things I don't like about the way Hobby Lobby is run. First, I have seen people get 'written up' for mistakes that weren't their fault (example: CSM got written up for not signing return slip when cashier filed slip away before CSM had a chance to sign it. Two cashiers got written up because they were forced to share a cash drawer that ultimately didn't balance. ) Second, if a customer buys an item on sale, let's say a frame, and finds out they need to exchange it for a different size, but there is not a frame sale the next week, the customer has to pay full price for the new one, even though they should have been able to "lock in" the discount. This is particularly true if the return is due to defective merchandise. It sets the cashier/CSM up to have to argue with the customer who pays 50% less one week and doesn't want to pay full price for a similar item this week when they only wanted to exchange the size. Also, please, please, invest in barcode scanners and updated registers. Those outdated registers are costing you money in erroneous sale prices ("Spring yard stakes are on sale, are 4th of July ones on sale too? I don't know...Go ahead and give the customer the sale price. OK. 100 4th of July yard stakes later....oops, nope they aren't part of the sale." Sorry Hob Lob you just lost hundreds of dollars because the sales are ambiguous and the registers only do what the cashier tells them to). Also, I've seen plenty of guessing due to lack of price tags. It takes so long to get a price check on some items that cashiers will literally make up a price after several minutes of waiting for a response on a price check. Customers in this day and age want to be able to return and ring up merchandise on the same ticket, they don't want credits on their accounts that take days to clear, and tie up their funds in the process. They are surprised to see employees photocopy their sales receipt (especially if the employee has to run all the way to the back of the store to do it). You really need to bite the bullet and modernize your system. I know it's expensive, but I promise you I have seen, with my own eyes, Hobby Lobby lose a lot of money in cashier mistakes due to the antiquated system. And that doesn't even begin to talk about the sticker switching and other nonsense people try to pull to take advantage of the outdated system.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Greens are great collectors of Christian antiquities; however, their management/ work environment is worth nil

Current Employee - Receiving in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Receiving in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

wages were good co workers ( non management) were great people sundays off 15 % discount 1/2 hour lunch break potlucks

Cons

management is disrespectful...I was told to shut up by my manager...more than once several employees written up for stock room in disarray even though they were doing multiple store pulls and resets...was hirede full time 1 st week of benefits i was told that hours would be cut....no clear communication or plans of action..... the Green's need to really look at their vision and values and do a major overhaul or some conversion of higher management into their christian views....i wouldnt reccommend my worst enemy this torture...practice what you preach

Advice to Management

better plans for staffing , such as CSM should be alternate cashier not dept person... UPC's or computerized inventory take blame for your mistakes and not blame assoc.... show some respect...........we all are just human..... I'll shut up now.....mr green is figure head....like blaming queen elizabeth...he should have his family more involved...it;s more than a hobby for us workers......

Okay College Job

Former Employee - Framer in Humble, TX
    Former Employee - Framer in Humble, TX

I worked at Hobby Lobby

Pros

As a framer I got to goof around a lot while working with the other framers.

Cons

They don't really pay you fairly here or care too much about their employees. If you never ask for a raise you will never get one. Also the company refuses to implement any form of technology. What could simply be done to file records for customers on a computer has to be written in three different books.

Advice to Management

Compensate employees fairly across the board.