There are newer employer reviews for Hobby Lobby

Hobby Lobby is a fun place to work part-time.

Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN
Current Employee - Cashier in Murfreesboro, TN

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

Higher than average hourly pay. Fun atmosphere if you are at all interested in the things they sell. Low turnover of staff. 15% employee discount and first chance at sale and clearance items. Never have to work on a Sunday, great store hours on other days. Manager was very understanding about my need to balance personal and work schedules. Attracts a generally pleasant type of customer.

Cons

Manager and Co-manager work exceedingly long hours, open to close is a regular shift for them. Some policies are unfair to customers, sets people up to argue with staff. Seriously outdated technology for cash registers. Leaves lots of room for errors, some of which could get you in trouble. Sale flyers are confusing and hard to follow week to week. Not a job for someone who can't be on their feet for hours or lift at least 30lbs very regularly.

Advice to Management

There are three things I don't like about the way Hobby Lobby is run. First, I have seen people get 'written up' for mistakes that weren't their fault (example: CSM got written up for not signing return slip when cashier filed slip away before CSM had a chance to sign it. Two cashiers got written up because they were forced to share a cash drawer that ultimately didn't balance. )
Second, if a customer buys an item on sale, let's say a frame, and finds out they need to exchange it for a different size, but there is not a frame sale the next week, the customer has to pay full price for the new one, even though they should have been able to "lock in" the discount. This is particularly true if the return is due to defective merchandise. It sets the cashier/CSM up to have to argue with the customer who pays 50% less one week and doesn't want to pay full price for a similar item this week when they only wanted to exchange the size.
Also, please, please, invest in barcode scanners and updated registers. Those outdated registers are costing you money in erroneous sale prices ("Spring yard stakes are on sale, are 4th of July ones on sale too? I don't know...Go ahead and give the customer the sale price. OK. 100 4th of July yard stakes later....oops, nope they aren't part of the sale." Sorry Hob Lob you just lost hundreds of dollars because the sales are ambiguous and the registers only do what the cashier tells them to). Also, I've seen plenty of guessing due to lack of price tags. It takes so long to get a price check on some items that cashiers will literally make up a price after several minutes of waiting for a response on a price check. Customers in this day and age want to be able to return and ring up merchandise on the same ticket, they don't want credits on their accounts that take days to clear, and tie up their funds in the process. They are surprised to see employees photocopy their sales receipt (especially if the employee has to run all the way to the back of the store to do it). You really need to bite the bullet and modernize your system. I know it's expensive, but I promise you I have seen, with my own eyes, Hobby Lobby lose a lot of money in cashier mistakes due to the antiquated system. And that doesn't even begin to talk about the sticker switching and other nonsense people try to pull to take advantage of the outdated system.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The CEO's vision stops with the RVP.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

The Green Family is great.
    Great Products.
    For associates, the hours, the pay, and the flexibility is fantastic.

Cons

For Managers, no work-life balance.
    The Medical Benifits
    No clear direction from higher Management

Advice to Management

The three weeks of one day off, should not be really 12 weeks.
    Better medical benifits other than just preventive care.
    Some how "One Voice" truly needs to be One Voice

Most frustrating job ever

Current Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Department Head/Cashier in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Hobby Lobby

Pros

$12 per hour for full time employees. Generous Christmas bonus.

Cons

Very hard work with fewer people doing the work because they pay us so well. Very high turnover rate, and vacancies aren't filled right away so management can keep payroll costs down, instead they just bully the rest of us into working faster and harder. There is also a high degree of favoritism, with the favorite people being exempt from cashiering, while the rest of the department staff having to stop work in their departments to cover the lack of sufficient cashiers.

Also, while they offer health benefits and vacations, these are only offered to full time employees, and vacations can only be taken one week at a time, so that we aren't off during our Saturday to work, which is every other Saturday.

Advice to Management

All the write ups for mistakes made during checking out of customers will never stop the mistakes. The only way to be sure that products are rung up under the correct department and at the correct price will be if bar code scanners are used for every product in the store.