There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Inn Express

Lack of communication and difficult co-workers made for an unpleasant experience

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Astoria, OR
Former Employee - Housekeeping in Astoria, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It was a steady paycheck

Cons

The coworkers in my department were very unaccepting of anyone new and made working here very unpleasant

Advice to Management

Keep a close eye on how new workers are being treated by other staff

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Inn Express

Underpaid for amount of work. I made more money doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Good way to network (guests)

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Once you've added Front Desk experience to your resume, it's incredibly easy to find work at hotels. Great networking opportunity through guests coming to your hotel (I've been offered jobs -unfortunately too far away at this time- & asked to apply at job fairs being held in our meeting spaces as of late). Good place to learn about an office environment and how to multitask if you're up to it.

Cons

Underpaid.. I have made more doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Under-appreciated - high degree of patience and energy needed for not a lot of pay and never a raise that makes a dent in your bills. Probably the most demanding job in the hotel as you are the first person people think of to find when there is a problem - coworkers included. No respect, seen as inferior by most, lazy bosses, few breaks despite state laws. If you intend to return to college while working at a job like this, make sure your boss isn't a capitalistic jerk who thinks you're a service-working piece of trash to make his bonus fat and his labor costs low... he or she won't want you to embark upon self-improvement. He or she will refuse to schedule around your classes or just cut your hours so that you starve while trying to expand your mind and you will instead pass out in your desk from malnutrition yet you will still be responsible for paying back student loans you can't afford because of your poor choice not to stick with McDonald's or UPS. After you flunk out of college, you will be stuck with the humiliating task of working your way back into said boss' "good graces" to get your hours back from the flaky new girl who laughs at male boss' not-funny jokes but can't seem to enter credit card information properly. =-)

Advice to Management

Stop bullshitting people. This isn't a good career choice. Stop telling people that Hospitality studies are a good idea. They aren't. I am surprised lawyers still hold the #1 spot for suicide. The problem here isn't really the guests. I've met fascinating people and I enjoy being kind, I am generally a kind person in all aspects of my life. The challenging portion is dealing with YOU and your expectations and general negativity. You can't expect people who have been berated and underpaid to easily embrace niceness to hordes of your wealth-inducing clientele. Be realistic. If you feel the need to be hard on your employees, be a better people-reader, hire people who are genuinely sweet-natured so they can better put up with you and keep guest scores high.

2. A Job just to get by.

Former Employee - House Keeping in Warrensburg, MO
    Former Employee - House Keeping in Warrensburg, MO

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pros are really nice staff.

Cons

The pay is the same as any other min. Wage pay.

Advice to Management

To stop the work drama, lol but you get that at any job.