Holiday Inn Express

www.hiexpress.com
  www.hiexpress.com
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Inn Express

Good on the outside, not great after a while."

Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Victoria, TX
Current Employee - Front Desk Agent in Victoria, TX

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people. You meet some great people and hear interesting things about thier lives and work. Co workers also very friendly and nice but very young.

Cons

This list goes on. Theres no potential for growth unless youre comitted to working at the very same hotel for longer than 10 years.
Not only that but getting a raise is next to impossible. Starting at 8.50 i thought was great, Im very young and live by myself so it paid the bills and then i had a little money left. But the work was alot more than i expected for that pay. You're not just front desk. Youre also a housekeeper, room checker, if a tv is broken you have to see if you can fix it, you take things to rooms for needy guests, you negotiate constantly, us night auditors have to cook breakfast and clean the halls and lobby...Im not one to complain about hard work but when other hotels pay $10-11 an hour to do the same stuff the motivation is lowered significantly.
No bennefits - and dont even get hurt on the job. A minor papercut or worse burn from cooking breakfast management tries to skimp anywhere they can just so you dont have to file for workers comp. I got burned from the coffee machines hot water tap, the standing GM did not want to hear about it. Luckly it healed in a good three hours.
The management is very nice but wont work with you at all. I started part time as a night auditor, then i asked if i could start full time on the morning and afternoon shifts. Although i was promised nothing i kept asking and proving myself only to be told "Oh we will get you on the day shift as soon as we can..." Its been two months and im still full time night. My body cant do it and my weight is dropping because i cant keep a normal eating scheduel. Also its apparently difficult for them to make a scheduel because sometimes id be called in to work after planning my days off only to be told they made a mistake and ment to put me on.
If you want to move up, you are going to be let down by their expectations and ability to train you.

Please understand and appreciate your workers - better pay would help tremendiously!!! Bending over backwards for guests to the point they can do whatever they please and get what they want for some good survey rating is a very poor way to motivate your front desk. Also take time to see the potential in some of us so that you dont keep losing workers. The little night auditor may be amazing at daytime guest service but you overlook them because you dont feel like taking time out of your day to really talk to them. Also we have lives outside of work, being proactive and planning your work weeks and giving everyone the hours they want - not hiring a bunch of little 1-2 day workers who dont get that experence in as much as those who want 5 days of work.

137 Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Inn Express (View Most Recent)

Lack of communication and difficult co-workers made for an unpleasant experience

Former Employee - Housekeeping in Astoria, OR
    Former Employee - Housekeeping in Astoria, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a steady paycheck

Cons

The coworkers in my department were very unaccepting of anyone new and made working here very unpleasant

Keep a close eye on how new workers are being treated by other staff

Underpaid for amount of work. I made more money doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Good way to network (guests)

Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Louisville, KY
    Current Employee - Front Desk Associate in Louisville, KY

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Once you've added Front Desk experience to your resume, it's incredibly easy to find work at hotels. Great networking opportunity through guests coming to your hotel (I've been offered jobs -unfortunately too far away at this time- & asked to apply at job fairs being held in our meeting spaces as of late). Good place to learn about an office environment and how to multitask if you're up to it.

Cons

Underpaid.. I have made more doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Under-appreciated - high degree of patience and energy needed for not a lot of pay and never a raise that makes a dent in your bills. Probably the most demanding job in the hotel as you are the first person people think of to find when there is a problem - coworkers included. No respect, seen as inferior by most, lazy bosses, few breaks despite state laws.

If you intend to return to college while working at a job like this, make sure your boss isn't a capitalistic jerk who thinks you're a service-working piece of trash to make his bonus fat and his labor costs low... he or she won't want you to embark upon self-improvement. He or she will refuse to schedule around your classes or just cut your hours so that you starve while trying to expand your mind and you will instead pass out in your desk from malnutrition yet you will still be responsible for paying back student loans you can't afford because of your poor choice not to stick with McDonald's or UPS. After you flunk out of college, you will be stuck with the humiliating task of working your way back into said boss' "good graces" to get your hours back from the flaky new girl who laughs at male boss' not-funny jokes but can't seem to enter credit card information properly.
    =-)

Stop bullshitting people. This isn't a good career choice. Stop telling people that Hospitality studies are a good idea. They aren't. I am surprised lawyers still hold the #1 spot for suicide. The problem here isn't really the guests. I've met fascinating people and I enjoy being kind, I am generally a kind person in all aspects of my life. The challenging portion is dealing with YOU and your expectations and general negativity. You can't expect people who have been berated and underpaid to easily embrace niceness to hordes of your wealth-inducing clientele. Be realistic. If you feel the need to be hard on your employees, be a better people-reader, hire people who are genuinely sweet-natured so they can better put up with you and keep guest scores high.

There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Inn Express