Holiday Inn Express
www.hiexpress.com 16 to 50 Employees

Good on the outside, not great after a while."

Front Desk Agent (Current Employee)
Victoria, TX

ProsThe people. You meet some great people and hear interesting things about thier lives and work. Co workers also very friendly and nice but very young.

ConsThis list goes on. Theres no potential for growth unless youre comitted to working at the very same hotel for longer than 10 years.
Not only that but getting a raise is next to impossible. Starting at 8.50 i thought was great, Im very young and live by myself so it paid the bills and then i had a little money left. But the work was alot more than i expected for that pay. You're not just front desk. Youre also a housekeeper, room checker, if a tv is broken you have to see if you can fix it, you take things to rooms for needy guests, you negotiate constantly, us night auditors have to cook breakfast and clean the halls and lobby...Im not one to complain about hard work but when other hotels pay $10-11 an hour to do the same stuff the motivation is lowered significantly.
No bennefits - and dont even get hurt on the job. A minor papercut or worse burn from cooking breakfast management tries to skimp anywhere they can just so you dont have to file for workers comp. I got burned from the coffee machines hot water tap, the standing GM did not want to hear about it. Luckly it healed in a good three hours.
The management is very nice but wont work with you at all. I started part time as a night auditor, then i asked if i could start full time on the morning and afternoon shifts. Although i was promised nothing i kept asking and proving myself only to be told "Oh we will get you on the day shift as soon as we can..." Its been two months and im still full time night. My body cant do it and my weight is dropping because i cant keep a normal eating scheduel. Also its apparently difficult for them to make a scheduel because sometimes id be called in to work after planning my days off only to be told they made a mistake and ment to put me on.
If you want to move up, you are going to be let down by their expectations and ability to train you.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease understand and appreciate your workers - better pay would help tremendiously!!! Bending over backwards for guests to the point they can do whatever they please and get what they want for some good survey rating is a very poor way to motivate your front desk. Also take time to see the potential in some of us so that you dont keep losing workers. The little night auditor may be amazing at daytime guest service but you overlook them because you dont feel like taking time out of your day to really talk to them. Also we have lives outside of work, being proactive and planning your work weeks and giving everyone the hours they want - not hiring a bunch of little 1-2 day workers who dont get that experence in as much as those who want 5 days of work.

Underpaid for amount of work. I made more money doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Good way to network (guests)

Front Desk Associate (Current Employee)
    Louisville, KY

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: Once you've added Front Desk experience to your resume, it's incredibly easy to find work at hotels. Great networking opportunity through guests coming to your… Cons: Underpaid.. I have made more doing menial tasks in a warehouse. Under-appreciated - high degree of patience and energy needed for not a lot of… Advice to Senior Management: Stop bullshitting people. This isn't a good career choice. Stop telling people that Hospitality studies are a good idea. They aren't. I am surprised lawyers… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Lack of communication and difficult co-workers made for an unpleasant experience

Housekeeping (Former Employee)
    Astoria, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express part-time for less than a year

Pros: It was a steady paycheck Cons: The coworkers in my department were very unaccepting of anyone… Advice to Senior Management: Keep a close eye on how new workers are being… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Holiday Inn Express.

Worked for Holiday Inn Express? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Holiday Inn Express reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Holiday Inn Express employees.