There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Inn Express

Great learning experience. Cross-trained, stayed busy.

Former Employee - Night Auditor in Bend, OR
Former Employee - Night Auditor in Bend, OR

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Night Audit shift remains the same. Enhances social skills and is very satisfying to assist others. Facility was beautiful and office equipment was always working properly.

Cons

Raises were not even between male and females. Incoming males with NO experience got paid substantially more. No benefits, and management was constantly changing.

Advice to Management

Have more training, offer promotions and pay increases like promised during evaluations.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Inn Express

1. Unethical

Former Employee - Auditor in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Auditor in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Holiday Inn Express full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Is a hotel that serves a hot breakfast.

Cons

Management is unethical, doesn't care about guests and teaches employers to act same way. Rooms had bedbugs and management did not practice fumigation. Management does not like to hear the guest complain. If a guest makes a complaint. .. management would sometimes argue with them. After a decision has been made to help the guest. .. management would talk badly about the guest and choose to do this in front of employees. There isn't any leadership at the hotel. There is no room for advancement. You become stuck in a position that is going nowhere.

Advice to Management

Take some courses in sensitivity training. While your at it, take a course in professionalism. ....

Decent starter brand

Current Employee - General Manager
    Current Employee - General Manager

I have been working at Holiday Inn Express full-time

Pros

Brand recognition, employee rates, personal growth oppurtunities (depending on mgmt company and ownership), flexible schedule, also as the brand is a limited service product, it gives employees the oppurtunity to learn all aspects of the business within feeling so "big box" and only learning very specific areas of the hotel. The reason I rated high stars regarding compensation, work/home life balance, etc is only because my mgmt company and owners offer these items, the brand itself has nothing to do with how much we get paid or when we have time off or if we get promoted or not.

Cons

My mgmt company is fantastic and my owners are supportive however the brand standards, IHG rewards standards and communication from the brand to the hotel is not seamless or user friendly. Merlin offers too much info and rarely works properly making the day to day duties of the job and customer service challenging. Opera as a PMS is the worst I have used, it takes at least 2 weeks minimum of training in order to get used to it resulting in a more expensive training period as well as more errors. OnQ (Hilton) is by far better. Limited support from the brand, you send e-mail's to your brand reps in any department ( area manager, brand manager, quality manager, etc) and typically you can expect to continue to bug them a few more times before you get a response. Most high occupancy properties do not have time to deal with this, we reach out to our support staff and we have to wait for days, weeks. As we are waiting, we are getting fined for brand standard issues that we couldn't have corrected as we didn't have access to the appropriate information. From a larger standpoint, I would like to know why IHG was not listed in the top companies to work (24/7 Wall Street) for while our sister companies Marriot and Hilton were...from a recruiting and staffing standpoint, we will NEVER draw the best employees if we aren't the best starting from the brand and moving down. The best will eventually migrate to the best.