There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

Hopefully proactivity will replace reactivity soon!

Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR
Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees work very hard and care very much about each other. Better than average benefits Nice corporate office in Lake Ego (Oswego), with big cubes and windows Free parking at corporate office

Cons

Insanely high turnover rate for employees (including home office), especially in the sales and community management areas as the expectations are outrageously high due to the reality the hospitality and sales industry but also due to little understanding by executive management as HOW TO retain/train new employees. Bring those seniors in at any cost! There appears to be high turn over of any executive who are interested in employee retention. The company is totally reactive in how it runs it business; here again due to the industry (?). BUT what exacerbates this is a totally absent CEO who leaves the day to day runnings of the company to a President who is totally reactive to his environment. The public verbal abuse of management that reports to him, including threatening to fire people on the spot in meetings is so very 1980's. Until the business recognizes that technology/the IT department is important in the daily running of the business (stop treating it like the red headed step child) and communicates plans more proactively, it will always be in reactive mode. This makes it hard to support the business due to IT being understaffed and not having the proper tools to support the business. The days of one day notice for new hire are over folks! The Cloud is not your savior! There is zero career advancement in IT.

Advice to Management

Give your management staff the ability to make decisions and stop micro managing. I've never experienced a company before where executive level management micro managed their middle management so heavily. Ghosts of poor performers in the past? Cant trust new staff to manage, direct and perform? Stop treating IT as temporary staff. Either totally contract out everyone or give those working so very hard the budget, tools and training they need to support and improve the business.

Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement

Roller coaster ride

Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Manager in Nashville, TN

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

When we first started we applied the "Holiday Touch" and were very successful with move ins. We turned the reputation of the community around. Our first year was great...we felt we were giving back to society and the job, although difficult at times, was very rewarding (not financially).

Cons

After the first year, we were increasingly pushed to produce at ever higher rates of move-ins (we had increased census from 60-80% the first year and were ahead of curve for the 2nd year)...seems we were not producing enough??? Even though other communities in the region were losing ground we were under intense pressure. This resulted in much less satisfaction with the job itself, not to mention not having time for the residents, which also resulted in less satisfaction of the residents. Manager and co-manager turn over rates for the company are sky high for a reason...after our fist year we found we were one of the most senior management teams in the region. That's pretty bad.

Advice to Management

Quit. Seriously resign. You are screwing up what was an incredible company. The fact that turnover rates are as they are should be highly indicative of what a poor job you are doing. The treatment of good managers is so poor that even the residents are/have gotten as sense of "rottenness" at the core of the company and it's current value system, which is piss-poor at best.

Slavery Back

Current Employee - Co-=Manager in California City, CA
    Current Employee - Co-=Manager in California City, CA

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Residents are wonderful, unfortunately the employees can't provide them what they deserve as they are way over worked, under-paid and are treated like slave labor.

Cons

Holiday Retirement Corp has re-iniaited slavery in all that work below Regional Heads. What a shame.

Advice to Management

Spend some floor time with the Seniors who pay your bills and put big profits in your pockets.