Holiday Retirement

www.holidaytouch.com
  www.holidaytouch.com
There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

Worst employment experience I've ever had

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Many of the mid-level people working for the organization are really great. They work hard and truly care about making a difference in the lives of our residents and employees.

Cons

The vast majority of the executive-level management team is clueless and reactionary. They're afraid of Fortress, so they make snap decisions based on limited knowledge or research, and then when their projects fail, they blame the people they've asked to execute these farfetched ideas. Most of the executives who had the right skills and mindset are now gone ("spending more time with family" is the favored phrase to explain their disappearance). Many times in meetings I heard execs (particularly a then-Managing Director who is now the COO) belittling the management teams in the field.

Hire good people and trust them. You will be more productive and profitable if you create an environment in which employees can be engaged and do their best work. Treating employees like recalcitrant children who can't think without your guidance will only lead to continuing failure.

422 Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement (View Most Recent)

Hopefully proactivity will replace reactivity soon!

Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Employees work very hard and care very much about each other.
    Better than average benefits
    Nice corporate office in Lake Ego (Oswego), with big cubes and windows
    Free parking at corporate office

Cons

Insanely high turnover rate for employees (including home office), especially in the sales and community management areas as the expectations are outrageously high due to the reality the hospitality and sales industry but also due to little understanding by executive management as HOW TO retain/train new employees. Bring those seniors in at any cost! There appears to be high turn over of any executive who are interested in employee retention.

The company is totally reactive in how it runs it business; here again due to the industry (?). BUT what exacerbates this is a totally absent CEO who leaves the day to day runnings of the company to a President who is totally reactive to his environment. The public verbal abuse of management that reports to him, including threatening to fire people on the spot in meetings is so very 1980's.

Until the business recognizes that technology/the IT department is important in the daily running of the business (stop treating it like the red headed step child) and communicates plans more proactively, it will always be in reactive mode. This makes it hard to support the business due to IT being understaffed and not having the proper tools to support the business. The days of one day notice for new hire are over folks!

The Cloud is not your savior!

There is zero career advancement in IT.

Give your management staff the ability to make decisions and stop micro managing. I've never experienced a company before where executive level management micro managed their middle management so heavily. Ghosts of poor performers in the past? Cant trust new staff to manage, direct and perform?

Stop treating IT as temporary staff. Either totally contract out everyone or give those working so very hard the budget, tools and training they need to support and improve the business.

Better operations training would have been nice for the CO-Managers

Former Employee - Co-Manager in Derry, NH
    Former Employee - Co-Manager in Derry, NH

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The residents are great the staff was very good having a place to lay my head after a hard day was nice.

Cons

The RD was clueless. Upper management could see nothing but we need more move-in's My wife and I were CO-Managers at a 100% full community but still heard every day about move-in's. The lead managers did more micro managing than any other place I worked since high school I am 50 years old now.

Make operations training a first priority! Sales should be second. Your whole world revolves around sales not the day to day running of a community and sure as hell not about the residents as it should be.

There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement