Holiday Retirement

There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

Decent benefits, horrible management

Former Employee - Community Manager
Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Living with the residents. They are a joy and we still keep in touch with many of them.
We were able to save money due to the long hours and little time away from the job.

Cons

Constant sales pressure from upper management that doesn't care an iota about what goes on in the communitees. We were warned about this but though we could make it work. Luckily, we had other options but they really take advantage of those that don't.

Read this blog! You might learn something.

451 Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement (View Most Recent)

Fear the Universal Law of Karma

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

Having an opportunity to visit and work with seniors.

Cons

Poor communication, work culture - lack of culture and super high turnover.

When you treat your employees so poorly they will not give the customers the kind of help they need. That is why there are so many customer and employee complaints. Do not let your fear of not politics get in the way of your morals and ethics. Karma is a scary thing. I hope when you or other members of your family the employees where you go have been treated better than you have treated yours so that you receive the care you deserve.

Hopefully proactivity will replace reactivity soon!

Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Home Office IT in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at Holiday Retirement full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees work very hard and care very much about each other.
    Better than average benefits
    Nice corporate office in Lake Ego (Oswego), with big cubes and windows
    Free parking at corporate office

Cons

Insanely high turnover rate for employees (including home office), especially in the sales and community management areas as the expectations are outrageously high due to the reality the hospitality and sales industry but also due to little understanding by executive management as HOW TO retain/train new employees. Bring those seniors in at any cost! There appears to be high turn over of any executive who are interested in employee retention.

The company is totally reactive in how it runs it business; here again due to the industry (?). BUT what exacerbates this is a totally absent CEO who leaves the day to day runnings of the company to a President who is totally reactive to his environment. The public verbal abuse of management that reports to him, including threatening to fire people on the spot in meetings is so very 1980's.

Until the business recognizes that technology/the IT department is important in the daily running of the business (stop treating it like the red headed step child) and communicates plans more proactively, it will always be in reactive mode. This makes it hard to support the business due to IT being understaffed and not having the proper tools to support the business. The days of one day notice for new hire are over folks!

The Cloud is not your savior!

There is zero career advancement in IT.

Give your management staff the ability to make decisions and stop micro managing. I've never experienced a company before where executive level management micro managed their middle management so heavily. Ghosts of poor performers in the past? Cant trust new staff to manage, direct and perform?

Stop treating IT as temporary staff. Either totally contract out everyone or give those working so very hard the budget, tools and training they need to support and improve the business.

There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement