There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

good company values, poor compensation

I have been working at Holiday Retirement part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company actually cares about employees on all levels, even the hourly wage high school employees.

Cons

Unless you work in management you don't get enough hours or don't get paid enough.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Nearly slave labor @ 84 hours/week PLUS expected of each Co-Manager

Current Employee - Co-Manager in Charlotte, NC
    Current Employee - Co-Manager in Charlotte, NC

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with residents, and that is the only "Pro" I can think of.

Cons

The Co-Manager schedule is Tues. 11:30AM until Wed. @ 3:30 PM Thursdays you go on duty at 11:30 and don't get off duty until Sunday morning at 7:30 AM which totals 84hours minimum of time sold to Holiday by Co-managers. Starting Salary (No overtime pay or other compensation) is $25,500 per year or $490.38/week or $5.83/ hour! Holiday would like you to believe they are doing you a big favor by furnishing your apartment and utilities and food. They also use the fact that they have "Live-in Managers" on site 24 hours a day. Who is doing who? If you hire me and my wife to do a job that includes spending the night so I can be on call 4 nights of the week, you MUST provide me with a place to sleep. So who really benefits here? In my mind the pay should be at LEAST minimum wage PLUS the food and apartment as a bonus for being on call without getting paid for every time I and my wife are awoken!!! They tell you it is a 70% sales job but what they do not tell you is that there about a thousand other duties that must be done including dealing with the failing health of the population there and be prepared to get out of bed at all hours of the night to answer the phone (including frequent wrong numbers) and emergency situations of residents AFTER having worked a 12-14 hour shift on Friday THEN pull another 12-14 hour shift Saturday and still make the required number of phone calls and leaving the community to do Home visits trying to get new people in the door. There is a constant barrage of problems/situations to deal with from resident complaints; residents who are forgetful and loos their room key, purse, glasses, other personal items; On boarding process to keep up with; account; overseeing employees (who by the way make a wage above minimum and get to go home every night!) dealing with shrinking bugets and always having to get approval of all expenditures over $25.00!!!!; and the list goes on and on of the day to day things that must get done and it all falls on the sholders of the managers and co-managers. The budget is set up such that there is no more money or hours for labor for Activities director/Resident Activities/houskeeping/management if you have 25 or 125 residents. The amount stays the same! We are at 100% and the Activities Director still only get 32 hours per week to do her job for 120 residents! They only pay $.30/mile for mileage yet you are expected to use your own car to go out and do home visits and other functions. They have CHEEPEST and ABSOLUTELY the WORST health insurance plan I have ever had that will not pay for lots of things including anything to do with maintaining good health, ie need weight plans, labwork to check Testosterone levels, Erectile Disfunction and much, much more it will not pay for. Home office staff undermanned in order to keep up with all accounting functions, bills are paid SLOW and venders call you as manager/co-manager looking to collect!

Advice to Management

Figure out a way to lighten the load. Cut out 12-14 hour days followed by 12-14 hours being on call, and give more time off to managers/co-manager and get a better health plan or at least offer the employees the opportunity to purchase a better plan!

Residents great, job not so great...........

Current Employee - Community Manager
    Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

As so many other reviews have stated, our coworkers, staff, and residents are the best part of the job. Ensuring that seniors have a safe, clean, and enjoyable environment is an honorable profession. In fact, if all we had to do as community managers was to manage the building, our staff, and take care of our residents, this would be an ideal position.

Cons

Unfortunately, due to the emphasis on sales and marketing, it is often difficult to take care of our building, staff, and residents. As mentioned in preceding comments, the conference calls are endless, the sales pressure relentless, the emphasis on tours, tours, tours, is insane, and the constant fear of losing your job as a result not having at least two tours per day, unbearable. The company loses over 44% of its managers each year, and there is no attempt to change this trend. In fact, this trend is so prevalent throughout the communities that it is not uncommon for a single Management team to have to work 30 to 45 days straight while waiting for a second Management team to be hired and brought on board. (It takes at least two management teams to run a building.)

Advice to Management

The job is actually pretty simple: fill the building, keep it full, manage our budget, and keep our existing residents and staff happy. Allow us the ability to do it by simplifying our lives and not complicating it. It would be nice if we had just one supervisor instead of four or more, reduce the number of conference calls, stop all the needless micromanaging, and give us specific, realistic, and attainable goals to attain and let us be accountable to this.