There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement

Complete Disconnect Between Upper Management and Reality

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The good part of life as a Holiday Retirement Community Manager is the relationship you build with the residents and their families as they become part of your family. This occurs in spite of the fact that upper management does not give you enough time to spend with the residents building the relationships that will make the community a success. I love helping the residents themselves. So many times a new resident will join the community because the family has brought them there against their wishes. Yet in time they find they enjoy the community and make many new friends. There is definitely a benefit for so many seniors in this lifestyle. Social interaction and an extended sense of belonging are among the primary benefits. The good things don't happen because of what the company instills. They happen in spite of it. A community is truly a reflection of the management team in the community. The companies sole focus is move ins. Upper management has never shown any compassion for the residents.

Cons

There is a complete disconnect from the top. The company is constantly hiring more and more salespeople at very high salaries and bonus plans and yet does not allow enough money, hours, and man power to actually fix safety issues quickly or repair rapidly aging buildings. Managers never have enough time in the day or money in the budget to do their jobs properly. Most managers last under 90 days!!! Our new CEO has already resigned after 1 month! Most Regional Directors make it 1 year, collect their bonus and move on to a better company that won't force them to work 17 -21 days straight. They keep hiring more and more salespeople that make far more money than the managers with very little stress. The salespeople getting higher salaries and 5 times the bonus of the managers and yet it is the managers that corporate demands makes the phone calls, gets the tours, and has to actually do the contracts and sign the new residents!!! It is utter insanity. We have gone over 6 weeks without co-managers to share our load with and yet the expectations are the same. We have 3 highly paid regionals "sales" leaders that do nothing but shoot out rah-rah's all day via email when somebody books a tour or closes a new lease. I am writing this as a managers point of view. If I was writing this from a community sales leader (CSL) point of view it would be different. Our CSL basically spent the last year coming and going as they wished. Worked from home as much or more than from the office. They had far less stress and made around $65,000 last year for closing maybe 6 new leases all year while the management team closed the other 55 new leases and made $35,000. From their point of view it's an awesome company to work for. Not for the management side though. The new CEO lasted just under a month in his new position. He must have seen the writing on the wall. The bank loans come due in 2014 and sine Fortress took over it has not made any headway in occupancy. The company was at 92% occupancy when Fortress took over and is currently around 87-88% and getting nowhere fast.

Rethink and re-invent!!! Value and respect your managers!!! Stop wasting money trying to sell a pig and actually spend money transforming it!!!

402 Other Employee Reviews for Holiday Retirement (View Most Recent)

UNDERPAID, OVERWORKED, NO EXTRA HELP

Current Employee - Chef in Palm Coast, FL
    Current Employee - Chef in Palm Coast, FL

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

FROM SCRATCH KITCHEN. INCREASED MY SPEED AND PROFICIENCY IN BAKING IMMENSELY

Cons

All about the bottom line, managers come and go. Lack of professionalism at the community level, CSL, RD;s are clueless, They push every idea to be done as a great step by just more decisions made by people not in the field. low pay = low skill workers

Pay peanuts get monkeys. Bottom line is not everything, GIving to community and alowing your residents to testify and family of those to tesitfy to the quality of care will profit better in the long run.

It has been a valuable experience that has taught me just how ridiculously low a company's integrity can be.

Current Employee - Floating Manager in Branford, CT
    Current Employee - Floating Manager in Branford, CT

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The most that can be said is that it is "simply a job". It is a company that is run by inept people, woefully out of touch, and without a shred of morality.

Cons

Any Management above the local community level is unequivocally ignorant of the most important aspect to be truly successful in this industry. They are committed to that being the all-sacred bottom line, when actually it is the human factor. Unfortunately, that is not profitable.

Come stay in a community for a week and get a dose of reality. I truly believe that you will either change your expectations, quite, or be broken. In the absence of a willingness to do that you and the "company" deserve each other. I know this advice is unreasonable because you were not hired for your strength, but rather for your lack of a back bone and conscience.

There are newer employer reviews for Holiday Retirement