Holiday Retirement has a Great Concept but Very Poor Middle Management

Current Employee - Community Manager
Current Employee - Community Manager

I have been working at Holiday Retirement full-time

Pros

The Holiday Retirement concept (on paper) emphasizes excellence in caring for and serving the senior population as well as respecting and working well with co-workers. The written support materials are well developed. They offer extensive online learning and support tools.

Cons

There is hardly anytime time to implement the Holiday Retirement concept. The overall work culture is unnecessarily high pressured and distrusting. The middle management leadership style is too often expressed in imposing fear, threats and finger pointing.

The high turnover rate of managers, co-managers and sales people appears to be the status quo, which makes potential residents and potential employees doubt the company's stability. One director was overheard commenting that "a lot of these people need to leave." They take no responsibility for their part in frustrating good talent to the point of feeling the need to quit.

The "support" offered has no credible evaluation process, which keeps the real decision makers from understanding why this is not working as it should.

The staff (from middle-management on down) are so afraid to speak up in order to offer real solutions that they breed a practice of grumbling, discontent and fault-finding.

There is very little acceptance or time for innovation, although we are told that we should be innovative.

Perhaps the worse offense is that too many of the corporate management clearly DO NOT care for and respect the elderly population. They disrespect and dismiss them in discussions - often right in front of them, as if they do not realize that these residents can hear them. The staff that disagree with this practice are afraid of correcting this for fear of losing their positions.

Brace yourself to read the many comments presented at this site, and do not simply dismiss them. You will find a consistent sentiment that should no longer be ignored.

Anyone who has the funds could take the Holiday Retirement concept and the dedicated staff, and make this work for real- by executing more effective leadership styles.

Much of upper management is hammering sales at the expense of the quality of caring service and an enjoyable team oriented culture. Too often, those who question the process (especially regarding the sales approaches) or want to gain an understanding about the "why" in procedures are punished and ridiculed. Also, those who want to suggest workable solutions are not given the time to explain their perspective.

It appears that corporate (and/or middle) management lacks the understanding that when excellence in service as well as an enjoyable, cohesive work environments are emphasized and encouraged, that potential residents and staff would sell themselves on buying into the Holiday Retirement experience.

It is easy to feel the tension that is directly caused by upper managerial pressure- spreading throughout communities. Please stop the dictatorial and disconnected leadership styles in upper management before Holiday Retirement implodes due to "failure by design."