Holland & Barrett Retail

www.hollandandbarrett.com
  www.hollandandbarrett.com
There are newer employer reviews for Holland & Barrett Retail

Shameless at times

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sheffield, England (UK)

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you work at a good store then you can end up with some excellent colleagues and interesting, regular, customers. It certainly improves social skills.

Knowledge can certainly be increased on a number of factors from medical conditions to, of course, herbal medicine. Even if you don't believe herbal medicine works (I know some do, due to the science of it), knowing about conditions does help.

Cons

The management from Area upwards are generally self-serving fools who will push on anybody below them to increase their own bonuses come year end.

They don't even care to lie to you when you are finally in the door, everything is profit profit profit and if that is at the expense of the customer, so be it.

Every system in the company is needlessly outdated. The tills are barely functional at the best of times. The constant training updates, always ending with a "How to sell this and a minimum of 3 extra products" part, hinder the ability to actually work on what should be priority - customers.

I know of a number of people who have got jobs in higher-paying areas, who have not done their job and sometimes outright not bothered even turning up multiple times which would be a firing offense, but due to relatives/favors from others have not been punished.

Prices keep rising exponentially and it all requires more and more paper. Constant promotional changes, updates, random bits of information. In a small store like what I am in, we go through maybe 50 pages of A4 paper a week (that is a low ball) and it wastes money. That and the price hikes are insufferable, especially since the company make a large profit on them even when they are on sale at half price.

Finally, the HR and PR departments are non-existent, and the people who work there simply aren't doing there jobs. I have lost out on money in the past and at times had to wait over 5 months for it to come through, with me hounding them every pay check that it hadn't. PR department just don't know how to advertise which brings in confused customers, or not enough.

Hire people who can actually manage payroll, HR and PR.

Stop creating a culture of store vs store and one of honesty, where a person higher up can't keep somebody close to them working in a very busy store that pays higher than those around it even though that person has been accused by his colleagues of skipping work without contacting (leaving them understaffed), outright turning up and not working, and more.

Stop doing training updates every two weeks, alongside promotions every 2-5 weeks, alongside other random things, alongside planograms that don't even match the stores, often having stock discontinued 1+ years back. It wastes everybodies time and money.

New till and computing system. Everything is massively out of date and barely functional.

Bring the company into the present. Web-presence is atrocious, there is no out-of-store support like a simple app for Android/IPhone. All this could be sorted by listening to people who actually do the work and keep the customers coming back. Not management fools who think up of such as "ISWOT" (which is failing because it's telling people to go in happy, when they get treated like dirt from those above them).

Finally, allocate more actual working hours for stores. Your working practices are downright illegal, outright forcing people to go in before work (delivery/promo) and stay after work (promo) to do things because a number of stores don't even get allotted the hours needed for basing customer support, nevermind actually doing other things.

52 Other Employee Reviews for Holland & Barrett Retail (View Most Recent)

Disorganised .

Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Supervisor in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time (more than an year)

Pros

some of my colleagues, training courses, good network of employees so can call other stores for help, never bored when working.

Cons

my needs are not met, was lied to about my wage, was promised commision but havent recieved it yet, my training course dates had been changed.

More communication with lower level staff, treated with more respect, and more money needs to be spent to have more staff in stores, 2 at a time isnt enough.

Could have been better

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Most people in the company are friendly and helpful.
    Because the type of business, most customers are nice too and easy to sell to!

Cons

Very much a 'boys club'. If you don't flatter the right people it can be a very difficult company to work for.
    The directors appear to be way out of touch with the shop floor in terms of modern retailing and people management.

Good will will only go so far. Treat all employees with the respect they deserve.

There are newer employer reviews for Holland & Barrett Retail