Holland & Barrett Retail

www.hollandandbarrett.com

Shameless at times

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsIf you work at a good store then you can end up with some excellent colleagues and interesting, regular, customers. It certainly improves social skills.

Knowledge can certainly be increased on a number of factors from medical conditions to, of course, herbal medicine. Even if you don't believe herbal medicine works (I know some do, due to the science of it), knowing about conditions does help.

ConsThe management from Area upwards are generally self-serving fools who will push on anybody below them to increase their own bonuses come year end.

They don't even care to lie to you when you are finally in the door, everything is profit profit profit and if that is at the expense of the customer, so be it.

Every system in the company is needlessly outdated. The tills are barely functional at the best of times. The constant training updates, always ending with a "How to sell this and a minimum of 3 extra products" part, hinder the ability to actually work on what should be priority - customers.

I know of a number of people who have got jobs in higher-paying areas, who have not done their job and sometimes outright not bothered even turning up multiple times which would be a firing offense, but due to relatives/favors from others have not been punished.

Prices keep rising exponentially and it all requires more and more paper. Constant promotional changes, updates, random bits of information. In a small store like what I am in, we go through maybe 50 pages of A4 paper a week (that is a low ball) and it wastes money. That and the price hikes are insufferable, especially since the company make a large profit on them even when they are on sale at half price.

Finally, the HR and PR departments are non-existent, and the people who work there simply aren't doing there jobs. I have lost out on money in the past and at times had to wait over 5 months for it to come through, with me hounding them every pay check that it hadn't. PR department just don't know how to advertise which brings in confused customers, or not enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire people who can actually manage payroll, HR and PR.

Stop creating a culture of store vs store and one of honesty, where a person higher up can't keep somebody close to them working in a very busy store that pays higher than those around it even though that person has been accused by his colleagues of skipping work without contacting (leaving them understaffed), outright turning up and not working, and more.

Stop doing training updates every two weeks, alongside promotions every 2-5 weeks, alongside other random things, alongside planograms that don't even match the stores, often having stock discontinued 1+ years back. It wastes everybodies time and money.

New till and computing system. Everything is massively out of date and barely functional.

Bring the company into the present. Web-presence is atrocious, there is no out-of-store support like a simple app for Android/IPhone. All this could be sorted by listening to people who actually do the work and keep the customers coming back. Not management fools who think up of such as "ISWOT" (which is failing because it's telling people to go in happy, when they get treated like dirt from those above them).

Finally, allocate more actual working hours for stores. Your working practices are downright illegal, outright forcing people to go in before work (delivery/promo) and stay after work (promo) to do things because a number of stores don't even get allotted the hours needed for basing customer support, nevermind actually doing other things.

Disorganised .

Supervisor (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail part-time for more than a year

Pros: some of my colleagues, training courses, good network of employees… Cons: my needs are not met, was lied to about my wage, was promised… Advice to Senior Management: More communication with lower level staff, treated with more respect, and more money needs… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Could have been better

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Holland & Barrett Retail full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: Most people in the company are friendly and helpful. Because the type… Cons: Very much a 'boys club'. If you don't flatter the right people it can be a very difficult company to work… Advice to Senior Management: Good will will only go so far. Treat all employees… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Holland & Barrett Retail.

Worked for Holland & Barrett Retail? Contribute to the Community!