There are newer employer reviews for Hollywood Video

Entertaining

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative  in  Havertown, PA
Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Havertown, PA

I worked at Hollywood Video for less than a year

Pros

watched movies while doing basic work, great customer base, free rentals.

Cons

the customers, having management coming in every other day, the fact that you have to sell magazine subscriptions to keep your job.

dont treat your employees like magazine hocking monkeys, and you might just get more of a positive reaction out of who works for you.

114 Other Employee Reviews for Hollywood Video (View Most Recent)

There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -easy to move up
    -fun environment
    -free rentals and access to movies before they were released
    -employee discounts on games and accessories
    -great employees with a drive to succeed
    Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

Cons

Everything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.

no promotions from within

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time for more than a year

Pros

You got to rent free movies. But that's about it.

Cons

Poor culture - they want Hollywood to be your whole life. Low pay, unorganized management, no promotions from within.

There are newer employer reviews for Hollywood Video

Worked for Hollywood Video? Contribute to the Community!