www.hollywoodvideo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Hollywood Video

Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Puyallup, WA
Former Employee - Guest Service Representative in Puyallup, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Close knit group
Fun environment
Work as a team
Can start own little store projects

Cons

Asking for late fee payments
Selling Powerplay
No pay advances

117 Other Employee Reviews for Hollywood Video (View Most Recent)

Working at a Dying company.

Former Employee - Customer Service in Brentwood, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Brentwood, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers were great, good selection of movies and games. The benefits of working at Hollywood Video were you got 3 free rentals slots as well as discount on snacks and drinks. The layout was simple. Shifts were very flexible.

Cons

Management was inept, changed focus of business from rental stores to competing with Best Buy. The stores, in my area, were run with the idea of favoritism instead of rewarding hard work.

Competing with Best Buy and other retail stores was too ambitious, should have re-focused their business model on the local communities instead.

There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Flexible schedule
    -easy to move up
    -fun environment
    -free rentals and access to movies before they were released
    -employee discounts on games and accessories
    -great employees with a drive to succeed
    Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

Cons

Everything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.

There are newer employer reviews for Hollywood Video