Hollywood Video
www.hollywoodvideo.com Wilsonville, OR 5000+ Employees

There is a reason why the company filed for bankruptcy and closed!

Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee)
Austin, TX

Pros-Flexible schedule
-easy to move up
-fun environment
-free rentals and access to movies before they were released
-employee discounts on games and accessories
-great employees with a drive to succeed
Everyday was a fun day on the job, because, as management, I made sure my team was pumped up enough to help customers and make sales. The people we would hire helped create a culture that spawned a district wide family. Everyone at the store levels knew each other and would consistently help each other out, and there was never animosity just a friendly camaraderie. I can't say I miss the friends I made there, because we still, mostly, keep in touch, but I do miss the culture we created.

ConsEverything else that has to do with the company, and it was a pain to deal with anything at the store level. I say it was a pain because they changed their minds on everything a daily basis, and it was hard to complete everything you had to do within time limits and no hours for man power. They made horrible decisions and wasted money on the simplest things like marketing signage that would sit in the back office for years never to be used. There is a reason why they went belly up, and the employees had no control over it. HR was a joke and had no real authority over the elitism in upper management positions. They found any reason to fire you if they didn't like you, and lie so you couldn't collect unemployment. The pay was lousy and for the amount of work you put in was not enough for what they asked of you, and towards the end they just didn't bother to pay certain people.

Great people, but low pay!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
    Mountain View, CA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time for more than a year

Pros: Small stores mean less square footage to worry about during… Cons: Low pay, short on benefits. Because stores are smaller in… Advice to Senior Management: Listen more to the people who actually work in and run stores as opposed to upper management… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

no promotions from within

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

I worked at Hollywood Video full-time for more than a year

Pros: You got to rent free movies. But that's about… Cons: Poor culture - they want Hollywood to be your whole… More
There are newer reviews on Hollywood Video.

Worked for Hollywood Video? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hollywood Video reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hollywood Video CEO Mark Wattles. All reviews posted anonymously by Hollywood Video employees.