Holy Cross Hospital Silver Spring MD

Labor and delivery

Current Employee - Clinical Nurse in Silver Spring, MD
Current Employee - Clinical Nurse in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Holy Cross Hospital Silver Spring MD

Pros

Catholic tradition and pension plan

Cons

This hospital is not only understaffed as most hospitals are, they also only let you take two weeks of vacation at a time and fire you before you can use long term disability

reviews filtered by

Great atmosphere and support in the OR at Holy Cross Hospital

Former Employee - Clinical Nurse OR in Silver Spring, MD
    Former Employee - Clinical Nurse OR in Silver Spring, MD

I worked at Holy Cross Hospital Silver Spring MD

Pros

Nice co-workers, good benefits, competitive salary.

Cons

Wish there were more continued education benefits.

Advice to Management

If HC offered more in the way of cont education benefits it would really give them an edge in hiring more hard to find OR nurses

Great for college students

Current Employee - Patient Transporter in Silver Spring, MD
    Current Employee - Patient Transporter in Silver Spring, MD

I have been working at Holy Cross Hospital Silver Spring MD

Pros

Adequate pay
    Good for college students or those who want to get their foot in the door of health care

Cons

Not enough workers are on schedule for work in the evening and night shifts, therefore creating the job extremely difficult for those who are scheduled. They are expected to do all the transportation calls that come in, and are chastised when they don't get to the next call as fast as the call dispatcher sends them. The nurses who are waiting for Transport Services to pick the patient up often then call Transport Department or a manager to complain that transport hasn't yet picked up their patient, when in all actuality the transporter is most likely busy with their previous call and not able to get to it yet. I myself have been victim of this time and time again. The dispatchers page me and I call the office, proceeding to them interrogating me as to why I haven't gotten to their third bed transfer within the time span of 30 minutes. This would be the definition of modern day slavery in the American Workplace. The Patient Transporters have the most physically grueling job in the entire hospital, and the treatment and expectations of evening and night shifts (emphasis on evening) is downright despicable.

Management is aware of this and yet does not want to move any morning workers into evening, and the hospital is currently not hiring any outside workers.

Advice to Management

Either hire more people or increase the compensation, because starting off at $12/hr is much too low for slavery.