There are newer employer reviews for Holy Names University

Great place to start learning about hospitality

I worked at Holy Names University

Pros

I learned the importance of cash flow as well as keeping a good food production schedule there.

Cons

working with college students can be very frustrating since they try to continually pull one over on you.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Holy Names University (View Most Recent)

Be a Follower

I worked at Holy Names University for more than 5 years

Pros

Supportive environment for women, close to Safeway.

Cons

Strong divisions between departments, crippled infrastructure.

Keep up the good fight!

University with a compelling mission and student population fails to provide its staff with even basic support.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I worked at Holy Names University full-time for more than a year

Pros

Offers free tuition for staff and their families: a great way to get an additional degree while working.

Excellent work/life balance.

The school's mission includes some compelling values that are a pleasure to serve: commitment to diversity and urban issues, developing "critical thinkers", and community service.

I enjoyed my interactions with students on campus and made valued and lasting professional connections among peers.

Good stepping stone job, or perhaps career-starting job.

Gym membership on-campus.

Gorgeous views from the Oakland hills of the Bay.

A genuine sense of joining a special community.

Cons

Extremely poor leadership, lacking vision, professional conduct and basic management skills — this is perhaps the most dysfunctional place I've worked.

It saddened me to see literally dozens of talented, smart people (ironically, the "critical thinkers") driven out by unchecked bullies and/or incompetence in upper management. Quite hypocritical given the "radical hospitality" that is claimed as part of the school's values (thus my two stars for values).

The subsequent, massive turnover rate there leaves little institutional memory to be found across entire departments.

Shockingly poor infrastructure: electricity, networks or email down for days was not uncommon. The students eventually held a protest about the lack of basic services.

Terrible cross- and inter-department communication and coordination. Staff feel isolated and tend to mistrust the intentions of folks in other departments. This mentality comes from the upper management down.

Uncompetitive pay; no merit-based salary increases/bonuses (in my department, anyway).

Little or no opportunity nor budget for professional development or promotions.

"Radical Hospitality" should begin at home with your own family and not just be a meaningless catch phrase that's dusted off and trotted out for speeches. Invest in leaders who can not just talk the talk, but also walk the walk. Management training and support, and HR with real teeth to support staff would be a huge improvement. Invest in your talented, ambitious employees. Reward good work.

There are newer employer reviews for Holy Names University

Worked for Holy Names University? Contribute to the Community!