There are newer employer reviews for Home Goods

Home Goods is a decent summer job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sugar Land, TX

I have been working at Home Goods part-time (less than a year)

Pros

-The managers are super nice.
- The work schedule is flexible.
- The atmosphere is nice.
- Not a heavy sales atmosphere.

Cons

- You start at minimum wage and don't really get paid much.
- Not much room for moving up in the system.
- Dealing with irate customers.

Home Goods is a nice place, but the return policy is out of control. Accepting items two years after it was purchased without a receipt? That is nonsense. This allows too much room for error when counting shrink.

reviews filtered by
  1. Homegoods Happy!

Current Employee - Recovery/Processor/Markdowns in Toms River, NJ
    Current Employee - Recovery/Processor/Markdowns in Toms River, NJ

I have been working at Home Goods part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I think for a retail store this is probably one of the best companies to work for. If you work on the floor there's a lot of room to input your own creativity into endcaps etc. You can generally do things in an order you're comfortable with. The back in processing is a different world, but is also pretty fun and fast paced. Management works with you if you have a concern and they're extremely lenient with requesting time off. The dress code is almost unbelievably lenient too, I have my septum and lip pierced and they don't care. If you take the time to really learn your niche then the job is doable asleep. Also, even though I'm not a fan of working register, the system is insanely easy to learn and get used to. I've also never liked a staff of people (including managers) so much in any place I've ever worked. (We also have the best store in our region official :])

Cons

The worst is customers, but that's any retail job. Management could do a bit better with giving direction. Some associates seem to go totally unnoticed when they don't do their jobs, others who run around like a nut get criticized a bit more. It's a little frustrating after a while, but these are literally the only real problems and I think that's really pretty good.

Listen to your caring and dedicated associates a little more when they have a concern or have some projects in the back of your head for when someone asks to do something extra or there is time instead of letting lazy people walk around and look busy the last 2 hours of the night.

2. Great job, especially for retail, but it should pay more!

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier)/Merchandise (Floor) Associate in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Home Goods

Pros

-great, positive, and welcoming environment; all associates, coordinators, and managers are nice and friendly, and most customers are nice or at least easy to deal with
    -contrary to most retailers (particularly in malls), TJ Maxx and HomeGoods stores are consistently busy, even during these dire economic times
    -fast-paced and never boring; there's always something to do
    -very accommodating about requesting time off
    -not much hassle in switching shifts or getting shifts covered
    -get paid EVERY Friday!
    -great for first-timers (whether in retail or in the workforce), students, part-timers, or those needing a second job
    -part-time is up to 29 hours/week
    -more hours given to those with more availabilities
    -can start as early as 7:30 AM (10 AM on Sundays) and finish as late as 10 PM (8:30 PM on Sundays)
    -management is very personable and professional
    -willing to cross-train those who want to expand their skills
    -good about rewarding and giving positive feedback to associates
    -opportunities to advance for those willing to go the extra mile
    -employee discount (10%) and employee appreciation
    -nice merchandise to look at/which you would actually buy!

Cons

-pay isn't competitive, at least for associates (i.e. minimum wage to start)
    -no health benefits, at least for associates
    -employee discount is only 10% (especially given the two aforementioned items, I feel that this should be a larger percentage, like at least 20%)
    -get that week's schedule only three days before it starts (the Thursday before the start of the new week on Sunday), so have to plan things either far-enough in advance to get the time requested off 2-2.5 weeks before or plan the week that Thursday right before. However, after working for a month or so, your schedule becomes fairly consistent and predictable, for the most part.
    -can get hectic during peak times and become challenging to give every aspect of the position 100%
    -customers tend to be messy and careless in how they treat the merchandise, but this is expected in any retail job
    -occasional rude customer, but this is expected in any retail job
    -store is in San Jose, which has banned giving out plastic bags since 01/01/12, but many customers still don't realize it and expect to be given a free bag to carry their purchases

There are newer employer reviews for Home Goods