Good work environment

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator
Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent communication between management and store staff
training opportunities for advancement
gain experience in interacting with public
positive work environment

Cons

limited hours for part time employees-less than ten to twelve hours scheduled weekly
minimum wage offered-for coordinator positions slightly above minimum wage offered
no real communication between management of TJ Maxx and Home Goods at combo store

To corporate management-allow store managers more flexibility with payroll to allow more scheduled hours for part time employees. Create a more effective cohesiveness between TJ Maxx and Home Goods at combo store locations.

Other Reviews for Home Goods

Most concerned with inventory damage control, as this is an imported type merchandise store

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Home Goods full-time

Pros

Excellent training for store management, usually sent away for two weeks to a training store, may be out of state.

Cons

Stores are a small operation, limited technology.

I did not stay that long, but I did see people in my training group get promoted to opening stores

Fast-paced and crazy

Former Employee - Merchandise Associate
    Former Employee - Merchandise Associate

I worked at Home Goods part-time for less than a year

Pros

What I enjoy is the great coworkers (though not all were friendly/great), the food provided for important events, and the amount of freedom you have when doing your tasks. The managers are nice enough. I'm glad I have some cash register experience now.

Cons

The pay is absolutely terrible as well as the scheduling. I don't know if it was an oversight, payroll being tight, or what but I was making minimum wage for 3 and half months with no sign/hint of even a 10 cent increase. I feel moving up is very hard unless you're willing to be a full-timer. The minimum amount of hours they gave is 3, yet they often underscheduled during typical busy times resulting in me and others having to stay past our scheduled shifts or being unable to complete every task. I often felt like I was one person being told to do two or three people's jobs while barely being paid enough for one person. I always worked back and forth from cash register to floor. This underscheduling also made it a common thing to get called off your break. I also hated trying to sell the credit card to people who only spend a couple dollars. I felt like I was a part time banker and that it got on the customer's nerves more than anything.

Please acknowledge that employees have things to do besides stay after scheduled times. Treat your part-timers like part of the team, too. I believe I was excluded from a customer service training "certification" while I noticed you gave it to other people who do the exact same job I do only 15 hours more per week than me. Also, don't be stingy with payroll and it is never acceptable to make sarcastic/snappy remarks to employees.

There are newer employer reviews for Home Goods.

Worked for Home Goods? Contribute to the Community!