Not bad for being retail

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator  in  Raleigh, NC
Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Great coworkers, have made friends here
-Management is helpful and listens to feedback
-Schedule is flexible, they work with your availability
-Always something to do, never bored
-Never have to work too late, we close at 9:30pm and are usually out by 10:00
-Yearly raises, not huge increases in pay but a considerable amount
-Paid weekly
-Parties are thrown often for good customer feedback and reaching sales goals
-Promote from within the company

Cons

-Store manager is hardly there which is both good and bad. Employees prefer the assistant managers. They are much nicer/laid back.
-Not paid enough for the amount of work they expect of you
-Customers continuously wreck the store and ask for discounts on most merchandise
-Full time isn't really full time. I usually accumulate about 32-37 hours a week
-Part time employees come and go, people tend to not stick around
-Store manager and assistant managers do not communicate very well to one another
-Push store credit cards

Make sure employees feel as comfortable with store managers as they do the assistant managers. I understand that someone of more authority is going to be a little more intimidating, but being belittled and talked down to by your employer is unacceptable.

Other Reviews for Home Goods

Meh.

Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator  in  Lake Forest, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandise Coordinator in Lake Forest, CA

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Customer's are treated like gold here.
    - Benefits are all right.
    - They are mostly flexible with the schedule.
    - Good merchandise.
    - 45 minute lunch is pretty decent for a full day of work, plus two 15 minute breaks.
    - Some of the employees here are amazing.

Cons

- 10% discount
    - Like I said, customers are treated like gold here, but they'll crap on their own employees to satisfy their customers.
    - The pay is awful, especially for a merchandise coordinator. It's not worth the work we put in.
    - Never enough help on the floor to finish projects in your department, so you'll constantly be pulled away. In fact, there are times when I'm barely in my department to clean and set up my displays because I'll be on backup cashier constantly, be put on a project that has nothing to do with my department, be told to do markdowns because there wasn't someone scheduled to do them for some reason. Meanwhile, if the DM or some other type of management walks in and asks what is going on in the department (why is it such a disaster) that department coordinator gets thrown under the bus.
    - Communication is horrible.
    - Presumptions are always made. Gossip is rampant.
    - Favoritism. For example: coordinators will be told that they must have open availability for the position and they cannot be going to school, have another job, etc. Yet, SOME coordinators will be allowed to pursue a college education while working a coordinator position. Hmmmm.
    - We'll be told to do something one way, then another, then another by the DM ... then another way again. There's no winning either way.
    - Extreme disorganization in the way the store is run.
    - The morale with the employees is awful here, which in turn effects customer satisfaction at this store sometimes.

Micromanagement is awful. Stop it. Let your coordinators take care of their departments so they are actually shoppable. Walk the departments often and communicate -- stop talking behind peoples' backs.

Not bad to work for but pay is not very good.

Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Customer Service  in  Rockville, MD
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention/Customer Service in Rockville, MD

I have been working at Home Goods full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are a good amount of opportunities for growth with the company if you are a hard worker. The company is growing and has a good business model for future growth.

Cons

Working for a large corporation has its challenges. There is a very specific way to do things so there is little room for independent thinking. New ideas take a lot of time to put in place if they are accepted at all.

Communication is a key. Managers lose the little things that are important for the well being of the associates. The associates are the driving force in the stores. Employees need to speak and have a good understanding of English otherwise trying to get things done is almost impossible.

There are newer employer reviews for Home Goods.

Worked for Home Goods? Contribute to the Community!