There are newer employer reviews for Home Instead Senior Care

Extreme lack of communication, but they are always friendly.

Current Employee - Non-Medical Companion in Statesville, NC
Current Employee - Non-Medical Companion in Statesville, NC

Pros

You can set the days when you are/aren't available. You can call in the morning and say, "I'm available today." They work with you if you don't like a client. They try to work with you if you need a scheduled shift off. The office staff are friendly. They try to show their appreciation with thank you cards, door prizes, etc. There are only four two-hour long meetings a year. They hire people who are not CNAs.

Cons

They have extremely poor communication, compounded by a refusal to use email with those employees who have it. You will get several paper memos with each paycheck. Pay starts at minimum wage. Recording hours worked is complicated and time consuming. Sometimes employees are put in the position of going outside the plan of care in order to properly care for the client.

Advice to Management

Don't ask for written availability if you are going to call and ask me to work on the days I say I'm unavailable. When you have a check box on the application that allows me to say I don't want to work with a certain population (smokers, pets, etc.), don't hire me, then tell me that everyone has to work with all the populations. Tell people what the jobs requirements are (e.g. no smoking, even in your car), before they accept the job and show up for orientation. Cards and door prizes are better than nothing, but a bonus, even of $5, is better.

Other Employee Reviews for Home Instead Senior Care

I was mislead and hardly made any money.

Former Employee - Caregiver in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Caregiver in Virginia Beach, VA

Pros

Flexible hours Easy to Get A Job

Cons

No mention during the interview/ orientation of cost to me for training class and that it was required. Three days to attend the class and no pay. Lousy hours and the gas used for distance travelled ate up half my pay. I was told if I had great availability I could get 40 to 50 hours a week. I ended up working 7 days a week for a month and half but only average 20 hours a week. After I found a full-time on my own with a senior couple, I was required to pay the company the $250 cost for training class even though they didnt give me the employment promised. They also asked me to shredd all my informational papers from class which I paid for. After doing a background check on me, they had the gall to ask me to send them a money order or cerfified check to pay for this training class. I was trustworthy to enter their client's home but they couldnt trust me that I wouldnt send them a bounced check.

Advice to Management

When you hiring new employees, they should be given a contract and fully be informed of this training class fee and the fact that it is required. Communication!!!!! Communication is the Key to Success!!!

2. I love the work but unhappy with office staff Decisions.

Current Employee - Caregiver in Manchester, NH
    Current Employee - Caregiver in Manchester, NH

Pros

They provide flexible hours, training seesions and a sense of worth in the community.

Cons

There are no benifits, health insurance or 401K plans. But what was most disappointing was the way they choose to advertise their Walk for Alzheimer's. They had an article written in the local newspaper about one of their clients who has Alzheimers. The clients power of attorney gave permission but i still think it was unprofessional to do so. Also another con is the scheduling gets messed up alot.

Advice to Management

Practice not only professionally, but also with care and concern for the clients and caregivers. You should provide benifits (such as health insurance)