There are newer employer reviews for Home Properties

Home Properties is an OK place to work, but I was not overly satisfied with my time there.

Current Employee - Lesaing Consultant
Current Employee - Lesaing Consultant

I have been working at Home Properties

Pros

Easy field to get into
Recession proof
Easy to move around/relocate
Apartment Discount
Company Functions: Holiday Parties, Summer Picnics in some regions
The company is working to make improvements
Some regions are starting new development
The company improves the communities that they purchase by upping the credit requirement, not allowing illegals, and not allowing criminals

Cons

Low Salary for the Industry
Horrible Training Program
No structured programs for advancement (mentor programs are popular in this industry as well as organized cross training, of which HP has NONE of)
The company is disorganized in its policies
Promotion structure is not professional
In general, you are overworked and under appreciated in this industry
It seems that many of the Property Managers/Regionals/Assistants are not the most educated and competent people
The apartment discount is lower than other property management companies
I think people will generally be disappointed with the overall organization of the company, they are just out to make money and keep the share holders happy

Develop a better training program or offer tuition reimbursement. This will really make the company a better place with more knowledgeable and education employees. Provide a more structured advancement process and bring HR to the regional locations.

16 Other Employee Reviews for Home Properties (View Most Recent)

Home Properties was one of the best companies I have worked for in my Property Management experience

Former Employee - Book-keeper in Owings, MD
    Former Employee - Book-keeper in Owings, MD

I worked at Home Properties full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started off at Home Properties as a Waitlist Compliance Specialist, then became the Office Book keeper. This is a company you can definitely grow with.

Cons

My only challenges were some of the resident and learning how to follow the compliance rules of HUD

Leasing was fun, but a lot of non leasing related things took up most of my time.

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Alexandria, VA

I worked at Home Properties full-time

Pros

The actual leasing part of the job - finding a home for families - was fun. I enjoyed most of my co-workers and the residents.

Cons

Given too much work and too little time to do it. Too much delegation. No downtime. Worked pretty much every weekend - and since managers have every weekend off, the weekends were short staffed and could be very stressful at times. Sometimes had to work overtime without getting paid.

The training in the corporate office was great, but there needs to be a better in office training program for new hires. I was often left to figure out my job, make mistakes, then get told how to do something instead of being clearly shown what to do. Also managers encouraging employees to come in early and stay late without getting paid is illegal.

There are newer employer reviews for Home Properties