There are newer employer reviews for HomeAway

Great Place - Great Salary

Former Employee - Salesforce Developer  in  Austin, TX
Former Employee - Salesforce Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time for more than a year

Pros

Awesome Compensation, awesome holidays, huge opportunities, hire more people in Salesforce Development :-) rest is pretty done pretty well

Cons

Management goes hard sometimes, look alike google , i wish you guys have the gym there, if not the free passes or discounted passes to austin fitneess down the road

Give a tour to global offices you have

115 Other Employee Reviews for HomeAway (View Most Recent)

Excellent place to work with lots of opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Senior Developer  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

I think there is a great culture on the development team - quarterly "hackaways", opportunity to open source projects, lots of sponsorship of community events (like the "3 day startup" in Austin). I highly respect management from my direct boss all the way to the CEO. Lots of advancement opportunity - a couple of employees come to mind who started at HomeAway fresh out of school who are now running large parts of the business, and there are lots of regular promotions.

Cons

HomeAway is a big company now - over 1000 employees worldwide. Also, since HomeAway was built by acquiring lots of small companies throughout the world, integration of all these parts and bureaucracy can be a major headache. I think management has a good handle on this (weekly "table talks", for example), but that doesn't mean that bureaucracy isn't still an issue.

Also, it is the case that your fondness for HomeAway is most likely related to your immediate team, and given HomeAway's size there can be a lot of variation between teams. I've worked on some awesome teams, but I can also sympathize with those who have not been as fortunate as I have regarding their bosses and/or peers. If you are considering working for HomeAway, be sure to meet with your prospective manager and other people on the team.

I think solving the bureaucracy problem is the biggest issue. I'm not sure I have any advice on how to do this, as it's a tough problem and one that's difficult to work around, but management should be really focused on this because leaner competitors won't have the same issues.

Great place to work, company is getting pretty big

Current Employee - Software Engineering  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineering in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway

Pros

Great communication
    Treat engineers well
    Good vacation time and benefits
    Great people who are smart
    Promote inovation 10% time
    Great Work life balance

Cons

The promote but its hard to get approval to take a innovated project forward, hard to use your 10% time because of other work priorities.
    Corporate environment and bureaucracy is slowly creeping in since company went IPO

Empower developers

There are newer employer reviews for HomeAway

Worked for HomeAway? Contribute to the Community!