HomeAway

www.homeaway.com
  www.homeaway.com
There are newer employer reviews for HomeAway

Bait and switching, unfair promotions, bad experience

Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Austin, TX
Former Employee - Marketing Communications Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation time, free snacks and drinks, showers

Cons

Bureaucracy, management out of touch with the regular people who actually talk to the customers and make you money, site always breaking

I had a bad experience pretty much from the start in 2008, but I kept being promised things that made me want to stay. A new position was promised, or a raise was promised. I was bait-and-switched from what was supposed to be a copywriter role into a customer service role. Luckily a new VP saw what was happening and helped pull me out and created a new role for me. But it took about a year for the company to officially recognize the new position and actually give me a raise.

I eventually applied and got a position in a different brand in the company and was treated better and paid better. But as things became more corporate, it became impossible to get things done. Things would break and never be fixed because IT had too many other things to do. We were told to do the workaround indefinitely, no matter how inefficient. Projects stacked up and bugs kept happening, and customers complained, but IT/dev always had too much to do and not enough resources. Then new projects would come along from C-level, like redesigns, and much-needed housekeeping would get pushed back even further. The parent company wouldn’t provide the resources to help.

Some of the management really tried to make a difference, but some didn’t. I was never sold on the CEO. He acquired BedandBreakfast.com, which was a mile down the road from the parent office, and never came to the office to meet people. Only some of the other execs. After a year or so they moved the BedandBreakfast.com team into a satellite office with some of the HomeAway teams, and while some of the executives stop by frequently to mingle, the CEO has probably been there and talked to people twice. So he’s very out of touch with what happens on the ground.

The company says they’re generous and competitive with pay, but raises are so small and infrequent. You can't just ask for one and make the argument for deserving it--it has to fit in their cycle. My annual raises were usually 3%. One time, someone on my small team left and I took on so much of her work, had amazing results, and was “promoted” a pay grade, and was still given only 3% raise the next cycle. Several times I was strung along and told to hang on for the next raise, but then it wouldn’t come or would be very tiny.

In my last role, there were three of us on our core team. When our boss left, my team member and I were told that there wasn’t an immediate replacement plan. Then a few days later, we were presented with a new boss that they brought in from a very different wing of the company (that’s in a different industry). We weren’t even given the chance to apply for our boss’s job, and one of the girls on my team was extraordinarily qualified and had already been in that role for four years. It was so unfair, and it's happened in other parts of the company. The person they brought on ended up being poor manager who made my life miserable. I went to HR about it and they were very unhelpful. She never gave me positive feedback, and when I confronted her about it later, she said she did it on purpose to push me.

I was very happy to leave. The only thing I ever really liked was the vacation time—it’s phenomenally awesome--and some great coworkers. And I have to say, they used to be stingy with sick time and holidays. But over the years they listened to people, and in the last year I was there, they added one or two more holidays (like the day after Thanksgiving) and two more float days. That was very cool of them.

But overall, the bureaucracy and inefficiency, plus minimal raises and promotions were rough. Lack of support and resources from the parent company made morale at my wing of the company terrible. While there are many areas of the company where you can “move up,” many of the teams themselves are small, so you have to start over in a different part of the company a lot of the time.

163 Other Employee Reviews for HomeAway (View Most Recent)

Has potential

Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Customer Support Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at HomeAway full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Laxed work environment
    Free breakfast on Fridays
    3 week paid vaca

Cons

Compensation does not match responsibility
    Communication between teams is poor at best
    Do not promote within, would rather hire outside talent.

Like most of the other reviews have already stated, the compensation does not match the responsibility. You hear the C team talk about all the great advantages of working for this company yet the Customer Experience team does not see/feel any of it. Please do more to support that group because soon most of the talent that you acquired during this "employers market" will leave. Also, it would be nice if you took an active interest in developing talent within your team .

Your experience here greatly depends on what team you are a part of

Former Employee - .NET Developer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - .NET Developer in Austin, TX

I worked at HomeAway as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent amenities, laid back, great location next to whole foods. There are some very talented key contributes who really care about the company.

Cons

Communication between teams is non-existent even with different teams of developers. It feels like the company grew too fast and they are still trying t o catch up. The work load is a little unbalanced--in other words, some people do a lot of work, and some people do very little.

There are newer employer reviews for HomeAway