There are newer employer reviews for HomeRun.com

A fricken nightmare!

I worked at HomeRun.com

Pros

The opportunity seemed perfect, it was close to home, no driving (in the hot AZ sun), calling merchants to to offer them an incredible form of advertising that would allow them to grow their business for just pennies. The VP seemed knowledgable in the field and seemed easy to get along with. The sales manager was ok too.

Cons

This company is so mismanaged it's unbelievable. It's run my men who change their minds like a stop light (and I thought women were the ones with this stereotype)! Anyway, the VP was very, very proud of his of his past where he had to tell me about the 5 or 6 different companies he had worked for, He likes to work for the underdog and bring them to success. Hmm, having been married to someone in an advertising management position and every 2 years was looking for a new position. It didn't hold water with me. I thought he was full of BS, but he insisted on telling these stories to anyone and everyone.

There is no hoopla over performance, unless you count "spinning the wheel" . However, after someone hit the one and only $500. we didn't get to play that game for about 2-3 weeks.

They can track your every move... how many calls you make, how many conversations you have and you have to meet these expectations. Ok, I don't mind that. They would offer coaching if you were on the sales managers' good side.

I was told over and over - that we are NOT like Groupon. But the first darn thing the sales manager said when you had a deal was "how did it perform with Groupon?" Again, make up your mind!

I was so frustrated during my employment and would not recommend this company to anyone, UNLESS you don't care about being recognized, you have very THICK skin and you can adapt to minute by minute changes.

I don't care if this is a 'start up' company, please, please stop changing your requirments minute by minute. Get a clue... sales people like to be recognized. RECOGNIZE them! And give up on the biz casual, what the heck nobody sees these sales reps so why dress up?

4 Other Employee Reviews for HomeRun.com (View Most Recent)

Homerun Now Deem and is greatest opportunity since FB, Google and Intel Combined

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at HomeRun.com full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

New Strategy and structure will make this best silicon valley/ SF start up ever. Better tha Netsuite,Concur, Ariiba /SAP or many others. Word has it bored execs at FB, Google and others are interested in supporting Deem and jumping on next big thing. Also possible huge interest from mega Asian investor that are pulling out of US bond issues because of default. Potential employees .... join quick to say you were there.....

Cons

For present employees with lots of stock payoff could be good but few millionaires. Unclear new employees would have big equity upside.

Keep communicating and doing what you are doing which is great. The CEO is amazing and will ultimately be a legend in software as bog as Ellison and Gates.

Caution: Troubled company

Former Employee - Market Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at HomeRun.com full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with in sales are great.

Cons

I've never been part of such a mismanaged company. The upper management in San Fran seems oblivious to the major problems with the sales team in AZ. The management team in Scottsdale treats the sales team like dirt. They deny paying legitimate commissions any chance they get. Seriously. They recently gave me a list to sell from and said only sales made from this list would be paid. So, ok, I made 15 sales from that list but was only paid for 12 of them. When I questioned this, I was told that 3 of the businesses I sold actually shouldn't have been on the list they gave me, so they won't pay me anything for those! Seriously?! Yep. I did everything I was told to do, but they made a mistake....so I was not paid because of their mistake! I said - this isn't fair. They wouldn't budge. I wasn't the only one this happened to. I never did get paid for those sales.

Right before I quit it was announced that if you didn't sell a certain amount of the new product we had each month, you would only receive 1/2 commission on everything else you did sell. Fortunately, I sold enough of the new product to get full commission on everything else I sold, but then if any of the new product was sold to a business that was "mistakenly" on that special list, I still wouldn't get paid for that. I'm not making this up!

Their philosophy is the old - heads management wins, tales sales people lose. In other words the sales people Always lose. If you have to work here, watch your commissions closely. My commissions were only right 5-6 times in 2 years. They eventually did pay me what they "forgot" when I called it to their attention, but several times it was a lot of money - just under $1000.00. What if I wasn't paying close attention!

The corporate pattern is this: They over promise new corporate partners and then under deliver. Understandably, those new partners then drop them. They have gone through at least 6 or 7 corporate partners while I was there. Then when a corporate partner drops them, they punish the sales force. Never mind that there has never been any training to speak of, or marketing tools to use or direction from management - they just keep changing the commission structure to take more money away from the sales people. The morale of the sales force keeps getting worse, and management responds by doubling down and taking even more away. It is becoming a cut throat, back stabbing sales operation, just like management. It didn't have to be this way. They had a lot of bright, talented, well educated people over the last few years. Some are still there, but management seems to be trying to drive them out when they should be promoting them to bring some sanity to the company. What a disaster.

Patrick, several months ago when you told all of us that you let the company down, I was encouraged. When you said that things were going to change - I thought you meant change for the better! But, they have been changing for the worse. What gives?

Have your Scottsdale management team stop stabbing each other in the back long enough to come clean with your sales people. Tell the sale people what is really going on! Are you trying to tank the company? If not, delegate SOMEONE on your management team to crack open a book on management and learn how successful management works. My recommendation would be any book by Peter Drucker, the father of management. I've considered myself a student of his for years.

There are newer employer reviews for HomeRun.com