False Promises

Former Employee - Market Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

Great co-workers (non management). You get decent insurance after 2 months - although most people who start on the 2 month probation period get extended another month- with no insurance or paid holidays since they haven't hit their minimum deals required. Not sure how they expect people to hit minimum numbers with no training.

Cons

Don't let me dissuade you - ask to speak to the people doing the job when you interview. Ask how many have been there more than one year - or even 6 months. Ask them how many people had been promoted in the Scottsdale location in the past year. Ask them when the last time they had a one on one or performance review to go over how things were going. The only time you ever get a review is if things are going badly. Ask them if there is really the "transparency and candor" that is preached, or if asking questions turns into you questioning management and in turn if you really wanted to be there. Ask about ongoing training. Then if you say to yourself...hmm, seems not great. Take a look at their website and see how many deals they sell on a daily basis. 3? 5? Doesn't seem too sustainable as an ongoing entity. Ask them when their vaunted "merchant dashboard" was updated. Over a year? Not quite what you'd expect from a start up technology company. Also, ask the people on the floor how they are received when they call merchants. The metrics they want are about 50 calls a day, and at least 90 minutes of talk time. Management is full of false promises - thats why nobody has been there too long - it's quickly seen through and recognized as being lies. Base is around $37500, and you can probably make $50k. But, there is the cost associated with working at Homerun that makes it not worth it. None of the startup perks exist, the dress code is business casual, with jeans on Fridays. You never see any merchants - it's all on the phone. They'll do a great job selling it to you and you'll walk out of the interview thinking you are going to change the world. 6 weeks in reality sinks and you are like, what the heck is going on here - nothing like what I was told. Find some current employees on LinkedIn and ask them for the inside scoop and if what I said above was wrong.

Advice to Management

Cut the BS, acknowledge the shortcomings and don't sugarcoat everything. Actually BE transparent and have an open door policy. How about more managers too - one guy managing 35 people - and 35 new people at that, is a joke. Promote from within and be honest with people.

Other Employee Reviews for HomeRun.com

A fricken nightmare!

Former Employee - Market Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

Pros

The opportunity seemed perfect, it was close to home, no driving (in the hot AZ sun), calling merchants to to offer them an incredible form of advertising that would allow them to grow their business for just pennies. The VP seemed knowledgable in the field and seemed easy to get along with. The sales manager was ok too.

Cons

This company is so mismanaged it's unbelievable. It's run my men who change their minds like a stop light (and I thought women were the ones with this stereotype)! Anyway, the VP was very, very proud of his of his past where he had to tell me about the 5 or 6 different companies he had worked for, He likes to work for the underdog and bring them to success. Hmm, having been married to someone in an advertising management position and every 2 years was looking for a new position. It didn't hold water with me. I thought he was full of BS, but he insisted on telling these stories to anyone and everyone. There is no hoopla over performance, unless you count "spinning the wheel" . However, after someone hit the one and only $500. we didn't get to play that game for about 2-3 weeks. They can track your every move... how many calls you make, how many conversations you have and you have to meet these expectations. Ok, I don't mind that. They would offer coaching if you were on the sales managers' good side. I was told over and over - that we are NOT like Groupon. But the first darn thing the sales manager said when you had a deal was "how did it perform with Groupon?" Again, make up your mind! I was so frustrated during my employment and would not recommend this company to anyone, UNLESS you don't care about being recognized, you have very THICK skin and you can adapt to minute by minute changes.

Advice to Management

I don't care if this is a 'start up' company, please, please stop changing your requirments minute by minute. Get a clue... sales people like to be recognized. RECOGNIZE them! And give up on the biz casual, what the heck nobody sees these sales reps so why dress up?

2. Management very involved.

Pros

encouraged creativity for acknowledge leads for businesses.

Cons

every lead is different, have to apply to each business.