There are newer employer reviews for Homesite Group

Good company.... but vision of IT is shifting.. not sure if it's for the good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Homesite Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are some stellar indivudals that I have worked with that have given some great advice technology-wise. Open collaborative space, which at first I was a little hesitant on but I have come to enjoy the space

Cons

Upper management...ehhh... they are okay. Focus is on worthless projects rather than solving real problems, at least within IT. Homesite is a value company not an IT so any attempt to introduce new technology you will be waiting a long time. Career opportunities, I believe if there is a position that is open and you are qualified there is a good chance you will get it. But to advance within the group, let's say from a Financial Analyst to a Senior Financial Analyst, that probably will not happen. Better go somewhere else.

35 Other Employee Reviews for Homesite Group (View Most Recent)

Very bad company

Current Employee - Sweat Shop Sales Agent in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sweat Shop Sales Agent in Akron, OH

I have been working at Homesite Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working from home is ok

Cons

Not paying a fair bonus,they cut bonus to almost nothing,but its so busy there is unlimited overtime,some agents working 70 hours a week to make up having no bonus. Agents selling 100k and making $500, imagine that, however employees are great bunch of people who signed up for a completly different pay plan, company basically has their balls in a vice and are stuck here, I can go on for hours, I understand its a call center, but we just want a fair bonus structure.

Please beware job seekers - here is a truth telling about my time at Homesite

Current Employee - Sales Agent in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Sales Agent in Akron, OH

I have been working at Homesite Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Objectively speaking, you learn how to manage your time and availability - this is a great plus for persons who have never had to deal with extreme multi-tasking activities. I on the other hand, have dealt with this extensively previous to Homesite.
    There are only a select few managers (known as "sups") who will actually be there to help you, act as a sounding board, and actually coach you. However, I have seen other agents get fired because the other sups are only interested in their own bonus (meaning they don't invest the necessary sowing of seed's to help their team succeed) - which is based solely on the performance of the agents in their select teams.
    Keep in mind, everything is what you think it is - a positive mental attitude (as it relates to getting up every morning and showing up to work for this company) is only good if you begin to lie to yourself regarding "light at the end of the tunnel." If something is not working, don't stay in it, you will grow to hate yourself for staying longer and longer expecting things to change.

Cons

-As an agent who is required to sell a multitude of several products (if you don't take my advise and actually get hired by this company, you will learn what they are) you only have one little 32 inch monitor to do all of the daily work with. The systems will lock up, your phone will cut in and out, even disconnect some times. Your headset will cause you what seems to be never ending headaches because of the inconsistency of volume with each calls. May not sound like much now, but after you get 75 calls coming in, and they keep cutting in and out you will want to smash your head in the wall to deal with the frustration. If you request a second monitor, you will be met with a "we're working on it, but it costs too much to deploy that many monitors to the entire salesforce" - realistically, if a company with the magnitude of Homesite, being able to purchase in bulk, it would not cost half as much as they make it sound. Especially with the volume of sales we do on a daily basis (each individual agents volume in reference too). The second monitor thing has been going on since I was hired (several years ago).
    -You are asked to sell more and more products every month (you will learn that this is not an excuse, but rather a statement that you will be forced to sell products and endorsements you not only believe in, but don't have confidence in) - by products I mean more individual lines pertaining more to than "home" - you will be asked to sell products from other carriers that offer inferior coverage's, and be careful, if you sell a product and they (the customer) have a claim and there is no coverage, it's you that will be sued. You would find it baffling how many people don't know the key differences between a DP1 or DP3. Make sure you know and understand!! Your errors and omissions is on the line (as is with your licenses in the respective states; not the company. These products are known as "agency products" and if you don't sell them, they will fire you.
    -The management has changed the bonus plan three time this year alone, yes, three times, and I am sure they will continue to change it because they don't want the average's to be in the agents favors. I personally hit bonus several times, only to find the next time they change it, only a select handful could actually attain it.
    -Merit Increases (i.e. salary increase at year end) - if you don't mind getting fractions of a percent, this job is for you.
    - If you are one minute late to work, one minute late from lunch, one minute late from your 30 minute lunch (not an over-exaderation, it is literal, and if you do get a position with this company you will learn I am telling the truth), you get penalized with a grid metric. Get enough of those metrics and you are fired.
    - Understanding is not a part of the vocabulary of this "supposed A+ rated carrier" - they will not listen to anything you bring to their attention as far as changes that need to be implemented for the betterment of your position. Remember, you are a single agent; just one. The management has to deal with dozens.
    -Lastly, but not least important; you will find, if you are with this company as long as I am - that you will receive return calls from persons (past sales), only to inform you that their realtor/loan officer/mortgage broker, etc... do not approve of Homesite because of their terrible reviews. By review, I mean, experience with other persons they deal with. You see, when a loan officer tells their client they don't approve of "Homesite" as an approved insurance carrier because their claims handling, customer service, and lack of persons caring about people, you have to take a step back and ask yourself what is actually going on with this company. To sum it up, the employees of Homesite are all underpaid and over worked. And what happens when this happens? People begin to work for the sake of work, meaning, their attitude and enthusiasm with people (whom we are supposed to help) turn sour.

My beginning with Homesite was great - we were making a great salary, and the bonus was more than fair. Also, the call volume made it available for us to meet and exceed goals. With the new acquisitions and hiring of so many employees, your excuse of "operations costs being high" was absolutely hands down an insult by taking away $10,000 of base salary right off the top. Yes, $10,000 you readers out there.
    I do not recommend this position, or company, to anyone. They are a company who speaks openly about keeping one main focus on paying their dividends to the shareholders (private equity firms) - the head of sales, directors, and officers of the company don't care about the agent. This post is about the "agent" only and the realistic torture you will endure if you join this company. The agent with this company is completely dispensable, meaning, they are happy to spend more money to hire new agents, rather than pay a fair wage to the existing employees and retain them.
    Doesn't take an MBA to figure that one out.

My purpose for writing this review, was not to "rant" or "complain." I read glassdoor.com reviews on the companies that I am thinking about working for - yes as I am still working for Homesite. A lot of people have different things to say - I want you to read my words as a truth, the full truth. Not half or a story. Please do yourself and your family a favor, and don't work for Homesite.

There are newer employer reviews for Homesite Group