There are newer employer reviews for Horace Mann

my experience at horace mann presented me with many challenges and opporunities

Former Employee - Account Executive in Orange Park, FL
Former Employee - Account Executive in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Horace Mann

Pros

niche market, good reputation, longevity, financially stable,team atmosphere, good support from upper management, unlimited income potential and autonomy based

Cons

downside is you are a captive agent, lited to selling to educators price was on automobile insurance, and no longer provides health insurance to employees

diversity to allow other people other than educators to purchase horace mann products and a more competitive tier pricing structure

59 Other Employee Reviews for Horace Mann (View Most Recent)

Run New Agent Run

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Chicago, IL

I worked at Horace Mann full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Field Sales Leaders are useless. They sit back and collect a nice 100K-120K a year for doing nothing!! The company could trim the fat by eliminating the FSL positions. Talk about company waste! Horace Mann has become a "little Allstate", as all the higher ups are ex Allstate employees. They are coming in and getting rid of the old regime and replacing the people they got rid of with their Chronies from Allstate. In addition, Horace Mann is no longer endorsed by the NEA!! I wonder why?
    Horace Mann is getting rid of veteran agents, so they could save on paying them benefits. They are bringing on agents that lack the experience to do a great job. They are bringing on agents that have to pay eveything themselves (1099) and by doing so saving the company money.

Get rid of the Field Sales Leaders and that is where Horace Mann will save the most money and will become hero's to the shareholders. That is what this is all about.

Rewarded for the work I performed-fair in performance reviews

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, IL

I worked at Horace Mann

Pros

Family oriented company. One of the largest employers in Springfield, IL, decent benefits (company funded pension and a matching 401k program).

Cons

a slight bit behind the times in regards to salary and training and management style in some departments

There are newer employer reviews for Horace Mann