Hormel
www.hormelfoods.com Austin, MN 5000+ Employees

Not a good position to accept if you want to do real engineering without a promotion

Maintenance Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Hormel

ProsHormel has great pay and benefits. They are accommodating to days needed off. They will try their best to make the company feel more close knit than most major companies do.

ConsThe position of maint. engineer is not an engineering position as they make it out to be, it is a glorified supervisor. Maintenance is often singled out for any issues resulting in lost manufacturing time even though equipment performance is not the issue. Advancement is not as quick as they make it out to be, they tell you that after a year there will be advancement available to the engineering division but that is not true.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet new people know what to really expect for their future within the company. Everybody comes in looking to advance to something more challenging based on what they were told in the interview process but become discouraged when they realize that advancement cannot be expected within the first 2-3 years.

The people at Hormel want to groom you from the ground up to work in the company your whole life.

I have been working at Hormel

Pros: -The benefits are great -The pay is decent -The people you work with are awesome most times -There is tremendous opportunity for advancement within the company -Due to the… Cons: - long...long...LONG hours - due to the size and the way the organization is set up, there aren't very many people to work in each of… Advice to Senior Management: - Calculated risk is good, but it seems as if this company rarely takes risks at all. I think taking more risks and putting the… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Hit and miss

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Hormel

Pros: I had a great experience while working at Hormel for the most part. The managers… Cons: One of the biggest downsides about working at Hormel is the fact that… Advice to Senior Management: I think the leaders at Hormel need to be more hands on. They give you… More

There are newer reviews on Hormel.

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Hormel reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Hormel CEO Jeffrey M. Ettinger. All reviews posted anonymously by Hormel employees.