Great Company

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Hormel is a great company. 50% of the company stock is owned by a charitable organization (Hormel Foundation). They have a long range focus. Not next quarter.

Cons

Hormel promotes from within, but will force you to relocate. If Hormel purchases a new company, then future managers will be transfered from within Hormel and into the new acquisition. Employees from within the acquisition are rarely promoted (why I left).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Again, this is a great company. They have a long range focus. They are stable. They believe in safety, training, and decent pay. People are generally friendly, hard working, and intelligent. Senior managers also take the time to talk to the troops and let people know what is going on in the company. The CEO even goes aound once a year to most locations to shake hands and thanks people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Travel -you will definitely have to relocate Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college. Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

Cons

I don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory. Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

Advice to Management

I don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

The people at Hormel want to groom you from the ground up to work in the company your whole life.

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

-The benefits are great -The pay is decent -The people you work with are awesome most times -There is tremendous opportunity for advancement within the company -Due to the small size you are given a lot of opportunity to really show off your skill, and shine to management - The training is really great, they want to train you to make you better so that you can get promoted within the company - There are many travel requirements (pro if you like to travel) - Nice, midwestern people seem to genuinely care about your best interests in most situations

Cons

- long...long...LONG hours - due to the size and the way the organization is set up, there aren't very many people to work in each of its' facets, meaning that everyone has to take on more individually to make the machine run - If you work in a sales capacity, you have to move around A LOT (which can be a con if you have a family or a life and want to stay somewhere long), and if you're not in a sales capacity, you usually get stuck in a tiny midwestern town near one of the plants (not an exciting life in most cases)

Advice to Management

- Calculated risk is good, but it seems as if this company rarely takes risks at all. I think taking more risks and putting the company out there would help it see more success day to day - A lot of the products need to be looked at seriously and updated. Mediocre sales are good, but something new and innovative could help Hormel improve