Great people and a great company.

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Great People
Excellent company, and get great experience and training.
Good benefits.

Cons

Limited area/regional offices. may be hard to live near family, depending on where you're from.

Other Reviews for Hormel

Great Company

Former Employee - Director
    Former Employee - Director

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Hormel is a great company. 50% of the company stock is owned by a charitable organization (Hormel Foundation). They have a long range focus. Not next quarter.

Cons

Hormel promotes from within, but will force you to relocate. If Hormel purchases a new company, then future managers will be transfered from within Hormel and into the new acquisition. Employees from within the acquisition are rarely promoted (why I left).

Keep up the good work. Again, this is a great company. They have a long range focus. They are stable. They believe in safety, training, and decent pay. People are generally friendly, hard working, and intelligent. Senior managers also take the time to talk to the troops and let people know what is going on in the company. The CEO even goes aound once a year to most locations to shake hands and thanks people.

The only thing I liked was a free move to another state..

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Travel -you will definitely have to relocate
    Pay- above average compensation for those that are fresh out of college.
    Food- You get to eat a lot of Hormel product for free.

Cons

I don't think there is enough time in the day to describe how absolutely disgusted I am with the false advertisement this company sends to recent college grads. They make you believe that as a sales rep you are going to have opportunity for "growth' and be well respected...competely false. You literally are a bacon salesman going from one foul kitchen to another while carrying 70 pounds of food on your shoulder in a bright red bag. This is all you will do, ever. With every new "title" you receive, you are doing the same thing, just now you have to go into a lot more dirty kitchens since you have an expanded territory.

Side note, if you are of "ethnic" background, run for the hills. This is the most non-diverse, backwards company you will ever encounter. All men run it, and they treat minorities horribly. I am so happy I left this for another job opportunity. Heed the warning, explore all of your options before you become a meat salesman for life.

I don't think it matters what I write here since all of management are buddies and congregate at corporate in Austin, Mn over beer and small talk. But if they do glance over this, they need to do a complete assessment of all area managers...most are worthless.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel.

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!