There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Big corporation operating in a tiny town - a condition which sprouts big egos

Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Austin, MN
Former Employee - Corporate Office Employee in Austin, MN

I worked at Hormel

Pros

Good pay and benefits for salaried employees, but you will work so many hours you won't get to enjoy your money.

Cons

Big pressure to work super-long hours, butt-kissing is the best route to take for promotions. Old-boy network alive and well here. If you're not at work by 6AM every day, you're a slacker!!

Wake up and realize that work might not be THE most important thing in everyone's life. Staff positions enough so one person doesn't have to do the work that 2 or 3 should be doing.

72 Other Employee Reviews for Hormel (View Most Recent)

Solid company with great opportunity to improve internal processes and people management.

Current Employee - Category Analyst in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Category Analyst in Denver, CO

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Fantastic portfolio of products and commitment to excellent products. The can do attitude of the employees is truly exceptional and exciting to be a part of.

Cons

Unwillingness to adopt more current people management practices in regard to time off, work-life balance, and telecommuting. Salaries do not seem to be as competitive either.

Good Job for what it is, but a strong company

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Pay was good
    Company car
    Lots of Perks ie cell phone, home cable paid for, and good benefits
    good training and continuing training
    Great people-management is nice and your co-workers are good (some people suck but that's everywhere you go)
    You get to travel

Cons

The future growth in the sales program is a bit limited. If I were to have stayed with Hormel in sales I would still be doing what I was doing when I first started. There is no difference between an entry sales position and a senior sales position except for the pay and territory size. If you have aspirations of moving into corporate be prepared to live in Austin (no not texas, which would be cool), Minnesota and go to Torgies everyday and live next to your boss. There should be the plant in Austin with corporate in Minneapolis where there is a good living situation away from the job.

I think management was great however there should be more employee involvment and more understanding of women and minorities. Hormel is somewhat whitebread, and wheat tastes good too ;-) Overall I liked my experience with hormel and I would recommend that someone start off their career with them.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel