There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Great Sales Training

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Competitive Salary, good benefits, many opportunities for advancement, excellent sales training, promote from within

Cons

They do not always promote the best person for the job. Hormel is very focused on promoting women and minorities into management currently, which I believe is much needed as upper management is almost all white males, however, the best person for the job should be promoted and that hasn't always been the case in recent years. Also, Hormel tends to keep around employees, even if it is clear to everyone that the employee is not meeting the minimum job requirements, which can be very frustrating to management and co-workers who are impacted by the inadequate employees.

71 Other Employee Reviews for Hormel (View Most Recent)

What you see is what you get

Current Employee - Field Sales
    Current Employee - Field Sales

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

-Very stable and steady company
    -Like to promote from within. Most senior managers have been with the company many years.
    -Small company feel with lots of exposure to senior management.

Cons

-Ultra conservative. Do not like to take risks.
    -Operates more like a manufacturing company than a consumer packaged goods company.
    -Headquartered in a small town. Difficult to get top talent to move to headquarters, so the best people leave.
    -Almost all decisions are made based solely on the cost instead of the return.
    -Very few people within the company have worked anywhere but Hormel which results in the "we've always done it this way" mentality.

Do whatever it takes to hire some big players from outside the company to bring in some fresh ideas. This company has so much potential. Engage more employees in strategic planning and let them be creative. Take some calculated risks and start thinking like a CPG company instead of a manufacturing company.

Good to start

I have been working at Hormel

Pros

Good package - (salary, benefits, etc)
    Good early opportunities - if you are willing to work for it
    Strong company that will be around

Cons

The ceiling comes relatively early - unless you are willing to sacrifice certain beliefs (I won't throw others under the bus to further my career)
    Work/Life balance is difficult if you want to continue to be given opportunities - you're judged on the hours vs. the quality of content. When I am talking hours, 50 is considered OK, but 60 is preferred...

Take a look at how certain attitudes are rewarded and others are disregarded. You don't have to step your way to the top - just look at our CEO if you want a good example.

There are newer employer reviews for Hormel

Worked for Hormel? Contribute to the Community!