Hornbeck Offshore

There are newer employer reviews for Hornbeck Offshore

Good company

Current Employee - Captain in Port Fourchon, LA
Current Employee - Captain in Port Fourchon, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company to work for.

Cons

Do what you have to for the company. You are part owner

None

30 Other Employee Reviews for Hornbeck Offshore (View Most Recent)

Overall a good workplace

Current Employee - Master in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Master in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

The company stands behind its workers. The pay has recently caught up and surpassed the competition (hope they keep it up there). Equipment is well maintained. Good support from shore base, sat TV and V-Sat on vessels for crews coms with home. Pretty good benifits, new vessels coming out. Overall I am happy to work here with the even time schedule 21/21

Cons

Pay until recently was sub-par, Older vessels are uncomfortable and cramped, Could be better employee support and benifits, No performance based pay increase (a poor worker or less experienced worker may make the same as you), Rediculous amount of paperwork!!!, Quick to lay fault on vessel crew without taking into account shore sides responsibility, Hard to get training if it is not something that does not directly benifit the company. The older vessels still do not have V-Sat, phone and sat tv forthe crew ( I have been told they are going to be retrofitted, The Hornbeck designed vessels ride terrible and are uncomfortable and cramped, They have grown to where you are just a number now I like the smaller company feeling where you are family,

Keep the pay high, and be selective about personnel to get and keep the best you have to pay well, listen to them and treat them well. Only keep the best of the best get rid of the ones who do not meet the cut don't just let them tag along on the others coat tails.

Stable and great benefits but low pay

Current Employee - Able Seaman in Covington, LA
    Current Employee - Able Seaman in Covington, LA

I have been working at Hornbeck Offshore

Pros

Hornbeck is stable work, with exceptional benefits. The health insurance is a group plan with BCBS which is excellent, the vision is so-so, the dental is decent, short term and long term disability, they have reinstated 401k match and given raises to all officers to be a bit more competitive with the industry standard. They are building several new 280' supply boats. Great place to work if you are a mate, engineer or captain.

Cons

Paperwork is horrible, I'm no hippie but the amount of trees that have been killed for the companies legal papertrail is insane. It takes more time to do a jsa to use the head, than it takes to perform the task.
    RATINGS ARE UNDERPAID, I am talking about $100 per day less than their competitors pay.
    Don't let them fool you in orientation, the safety bonus is non existent. If someone on the other hitch stubs their toe while you are at home, every crewmember loses their two day per quarter safety bonus.
    They also will promise to send you to school to upgrade. FALSE! I have several letters of recommendation from mates an masters and can't get approved for compensation.
    The accommodations are pretty crappy, some boats are alright but I've been on 30 year old tugs with better..

Live up to your promises, Increase rating pay, send employees to school if they meet all your requirements. Less paperwork or at least go electronic, better treatment for the guys who are earning the money for you.

There are newer employer reviews for Hornbeck Offshore