Horry Telephone

www.htcinc.net

Horry Telephone is a telephone cooperative with country values.

Information Technology Employee (Current Employee) Myrtle Beach, SC

ProsHorry Telephone Cooperative provides exceptional benefits including two retirement programs that match 12 percent for your two percent contribution, Blue Cross insurance with no salary deduction and very low deductibles, a Paid Time Off (PTO) program, FLEX spending accounts, cell phone discount (we are the ATT carrier in the area), local phone discount, and cable TV discount. HTC has a supportive work environment that promotes goodwill among coworkers. HTC is strict about working from 8 am to 5 pm but promotes a relaxed, friendly atmosphere. Many employees stay at HTC for 20 years, 30 years or more. For the IT worker HTC is an excellent place to grow. HTC is an early adopter in new technologies (VMWare, Citrix, Fiber, SAN, 10Gig, WiMax) allowing the relatively small IT staff to become deeply immersed.

ConsShockingly, HTC still hasn't moved past the grey walls and cubicle farms of the 1980s. The "build it cheap" mentality has resulted in a much higher infrastructure TCO and plays havoc with the mental health of employees. Those who commit 10+ years to the company are promoted to middle management and rewarded with a window to the rural South Carolina landscape--though many windows face a railroad track that runs through the main HTC corporate campus. The daily trains that run coal to the local steam-electric plant shake the very foundation of the HTC campus. HTC is the gloomiest work environment I have ever labored in. Friendly, thoughtful coworkers make up for the drab sterile offices and mind-numbing florescent lights (hey, are skylights too expensive?). HTC pays low IT salaries compared to companies in major metropolitan areas. My job would pay 30 percent more in Raleigh/Durham, for example. But the HTC compensation package is excellent compared to most other companies except perhaps Google.

Advice to Senior ManagementPaint with color. Install some skylights. Widen the hallways. Get rid of the cubicles -- every salaried employee should have an office with a door. There are employees with 20+ years IT experience, multiple grown kids, and 80k+ salaries working out of tiny grey cubicles. Embarassing.

Great A+++

Advanced Product Support (Current Employee) Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone full-time for more than a year

Pros: Great Pay, and great people Cons: has issues with getting anything implemented when it is said… Advice to Senior Management: would be great to have a little higher salary for… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Disheartening lack of growth potential, lack of forward thinking, and subpar pay mar what could be a great opportunity.

Internet Support I (Current Employee) Conway, SC

I have been working at Horry Telephone full-time for more than a year

Pros: The benefit package with HTC is very good, better than most packages offered that I have seen. A more relaxed atmosphere throughout the departments is… Cons: Lack of growth company wide both for employees and the business as a whole. HTC runs on a "Good 'ole' boy" system and a "Wait… Advice to Senior Management: Develop departmental infrastructure and reevaluate positions, titles, and pay for employees. Reassess current management/management structure. Push the company toward more forward thinking ideas and technological… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More
There are newer reviews on Horry Telephone.

Worked for Horry Telephone? Contribute to the Community!