There are newer employer reviews for Hortonworks

Smartest People I have Ever Worked With

Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Territory Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone here is HIGH energy, fast-paced, and committed to the success of our customers. I came over from a large Enterprise Software firm and its extremely clear just how poorly those SW orgs were run

Cons

We are growing - there are new things learned on a daily basis regarding the organization and what might need tinkering. Its easy to get thing done, but as we grow - there are more regimented policies being put in place. Not a bad thing, but different than a few months back.

Everything has been going great, some of the policies are a bit much (although I get why they are there) - staying personal is key as everything is fast paced.

20 Other Employee Reviews for Hortonworks (View Most Recent)

Smartest company I've ever worked for across the board in all disciplines

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Quickly growing market in very large market space with technology that is accepted as the next big thing. The company has doubled in size in the last 6 months, is well capitalized, has a top notch management that is focusing the company on the right priorities to be the major provider in this space. Despite the ridiculous hiring pace, their process insures both capability and cultural fit. I've never seen a stronger group of people assembled at one company and I've worked for some really good ones in the past. From what I've seen this is a very healthy culture and everyone goes out of their way to help you. Minimal politics. Management knows how to scale a profitable open source company. Great Benefits.

Cons

Through tremendous growth comes some growing pains. Infrastructure seems to be keeping pace with growth so far. Hiring ahead of the market. A lot missionary work still to be done.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Cutting edge technology, everything open source, great people and culture

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Hortonworks full-time

Pros

Nothing proprietary. Whatever you write goes back to open source. There is no where you can get to work with so many open source committers/contributors including several of the inventors of Hadoop and YARN. Although not a small company in overall size, it is still a fairly small engineering org in HQ. The teams working on several different open source projects are very small, so you get a chance to make a big impact.

Pre-IPO company stocks give you a lot of hope and enthusiasm to make this company successful. 100% insurance premium for family, unlimited vacation, lunch, snacks, valet parking, on-site massage, regular team events and company picnic - all these have become very common in almost all startup companies and they are here too :)

Cons

The senior executive or management team seems to be quite aloof. Surprisingly we don't get to see them at all, specifically the CEO.

Senior management needs to be more engaged with the employees and provide timely company updates on progress, roadmap and financials as well. They need to improve on transparency. After all, we are all part of the ship - success or failure. I have seen before that the mere appearance of the CEO once in a while in the office floor creates an adrenaline rush in all employees to do their best. Think how effective the transparency will be.

Hortonworks Response

Aug 18, 2014Manager of Recruiting

Thank you for your comments and we are striving to slow down a bit. The executive leadership is adding up frequent flyer miles at a rapid pace! We hope you were able to attend and enjoy the company ... More

There are newer employer reviews for Hortonworks